Premed 101 Forums

Anyone currently studying at MCMASTER?

nosm_d

A few questions for anyone who is currently studying at McMaster.

Could you please tell me:

(1) How many exams you have per term, and are they always in blocks (i.e 4+ exams in 1 week)

(2) Do you have assignments as well?

(3) I assume the primary method of evaluation is multiple choice exams, is that correct?

(4) Is it true that once you are in, it is difficult to fail?

Thank-you so much!

44 minutes ago, nosm_d said:

A few questions for anyone who is currently studying at McMaster.

Could you please tell me:

(1) How many exams you have per term, and are they always in blocks (i.e 4+ exams in 1 week)

(2) Do you have assignments as well?

(3) I assume the primary method of evaluation is multiple choice exams, is that correct?

(4) Is it true that once you are in, it is difficult to fail?

Thank-you so much!

1) In preclerkship, 2 tests (that didn't count towards transcript) per unit (of which there are 5) so about 4 weeks apart. In clerkship you generally will have a NMBE at the end of a 6 week rotation.

2) You have tutorial and professional competencies every week which require review and preparation but not really like essays or anything?

3) The preclerkship tests are written. The NMBEs are multiple choice. The primary method of evaluation is a written summary of a unit. There are little to no numbers on your transcript.

4) It's not really harder than undergrad. There might be more density of information, or more diverse skills tested. But its a mostly self-directed program, so you get out what you put in. You certainly could have problems if you didn't put in effort but the program would try and support you before penalizing you, if that's what you mean. To be fair it would be more likely that you didn't match at the end as opposed to failing out of the program.

1 hour ago, bearded frog said:

1) In preclerkship, 2 tests (that didn't count towards transcript) per unit (of which there are 5) so about 4 weeks apart. In clerkship you generally will have a NMBE at the end of a 6 week rotation.

2) You have tutorial and professional competencies every week which require review and preparation but not really like essays or anything?

3) The preclerkship tests are written. The NMBEs are multiple choice. The primary method of evaluation is a written summary of a unit. There are little to no numbers on your transcript.

4) It's not really harder than undergrad. There might be more density of information, or more diverse skills tested. But its a mostly self-directed program, so you get out what you put in. You certainly could have problems if you didn't put in effort but the program would try and support you before penalizing you, if that's what you mean. To be fair it would be more likely that you didn't match at the end as opposed to failing out of the program.

Thank-you, that helps a lot. I always had 5 final exams per term during my undergrad, and they usually took place in 6-7 days. These exams came after weeks of writing research papers, so  by exam time I was wiped. I found this to be very difficult and stressful, and I am concerned that medical school will follow this routine... of course, I was always trying to earn 85+ throughout my undergrad, and I think this added to my stress. But I am still concerned that med school will involve such hectic study periods. Makes me worried that I will not be able to keep up with the med school pace.

Archived