Premed 101 Forums

For anyone else out there who obsesses over numbers, I did some statistics based on a 3-year average (2015-2017), with numbers plucked from the official dean's reports (2015) (2016) (2017).

Every year on average, there are:

• 2,577 total applicants ... (2,473 + 2,775 + 2,483) / 3
  • 449 candidates invited to interview ... (457 + 441 + 449) / 3)
  • 171 seats filled (133 in London, 38 in Windsor) - this has been the same for the last 3 years. 
  • A first year class with a demograph of 58.3% male and 41.7% female ... Males: (61 + 59 + 55) / 3 ... Females: (39 + 41 + 45) / 3
  • 17.4% of all applicants get an interview ... (449/2,577)*100
  • 6.6% of all applicants get a seat ... (171/2,577) * 100
  • 38.1% of interviewees get a seat ... (171/449) * 100

NOTE: These statistics do not consider waitlist movement, which can actually be huge in some years (e.g. the 2017 Dean's reports suggest that, for applicants from SW Ontario alone, 72 were offered acceptance into the program, while only 42 of those accepted the offer - that's a waitlist movement of 30 people!)

Feel free to check the math, add anything I missed, or discuss below. 

5 minutes ago, VanillaUK said:

For anyone else out there who obsesses over numbers, I did some statistics based on a 3-year average (2015-2017), with numbers plucked from the official dean's reports (2015) (2016) (2017).

• 171 seats filled (133 in London, 38 in Windsor) - this has been the same for the last 3 years. 
  • A first year class with a demograph of 58.3% male and 41.7% female ... Males: (61 + 59 + 55) / 3 ... Females: (39 + 41 + 45) / 3

NOTE: These statistics do not consider waitlist movement, which can actually be huge in some years (e.g. the 2017 Dean's reports suggest that, for applicants from SW Ontario alone, 72 were offered acceptance into the program, while only 42 of those accepted the offer - that's a waitlist movement of 30 people!)

I think that, in Ontario in particular, those waitlist numbers are essential. It's too bad that they aren't super well publicized, but because most people in Ontario apply to multiple schools, there's a huge amount of movement.

The same is true for those interviewing out of province - if I remember correctly from when I did the math, in some cases OOP people actually have a BETTER post interview acceptance rate than IP because there is so much waitlist movement.

57 minutes ago, VanillaUK said:

The success rate for UWO for 2016 admissions was 10.6%. There were 2,479 applicants, hence 263 offers were sent out for 170 spots. Don't have the exact visibility into SWOMEN/ROC delineation, but from what it is worth, the waitlist moved on an overall basis through 93 people.

The success rate for UWO for 2017 admission was 9.2%. There were 2,776 applicants, hence 255 offers were sent out for 171 spots. Again, for what it's worth, the waitlist moved on an overall basis through 84 people.

I find the success rate stats more meaningful, but obviously the lack of specifics for each pool makes it less helpful.

1 hour ago, Comprehensible said:

I think that, in Ontario in particular, those waitlist numbers are essential. It's too bad that they aren't super well publicized, but because most people in Ontario apply to multiple schools, there's a huge amount of movement.

The same is true for those interviewing out of province - if I remember correctly from when I did the math, in some cases OOP people actually have a BETTER post interview acceptance rate than IP because there is so much waitlist movement.

Before doing research today, I had no idea that waitlist movement could be so huge, but I guess it make sense when you consider your point that most people in Ontario apply widely. 

20 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

The success rate for UWO for 2016 admissions was 10.6%. There were 2,479 applicants, hence 263 offers were sent out for 170 spots. Don't have the exact visibility into SWOMEN/ROC delineation, but from what it is worth, the waitlist moved on an overall basis through 93 people.

The success rate for UWO for 2017 admission was 9.2%. There were 2,776 applicants, hence 255 offers were sent out for 171 spots. Again, for what it's worth, the waitlist moved on an overall basis through 84 people.

I find the success rate stats more meaningful, but obviously the lack of specifics for each pool makes it less helpful.

Very interesting. That degree of waitlist movement suggests that ~58% of all interviewees will recieve an offer for admission at some point (average over 2016 and 2017).

Do you mind sharing the source for these statistics? 

29 minutes ago, VanillaUK said:

Very interesting. That degree of waitlist movement suggests that ~58% of all interviewees will recieve an offer for admission at some point (average over 2016 and 2017).

Another thing to note is that this probably doesn't include those who accept an offer to another school and withdraw from the waitlist. 

On 24/02/2018 at 2:35 AM, Abramula said:

Strange, but I can't seem to find the 2017 report anymore

Oh yeah that's bizarre, they seem to have removed it from their website.

Luckily I have it downloaded. I can't attach it here because it exceeds the max file size, let me get back to you when I figure out a way to upload it.

EDIT: Let me know if this link works: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cFL_QLhKsLjXHfwz0oNiLjD5WLc7Ss7M/view?usp=sharing

You have a 38% chance of getting accepted after the interview based on the raw numbers. If they send out 263 and 255 invites after interview in the past years, that means you have a 58% chance of getting accepted after the interview. That's very solid, since you pretty much know whether or not you'll be getting an interview beforehand for Western. From there, you can further improve your chances based on the relative amount of preparation you put into your interview compared to other applicants.

I wish other Ontario schools were as transparent about the admission process as Western is, though the transparency can lead to frustration too for people who barely fail to meet cutoffs.

2 hours ago, tavenan said:

You have a 38% chance of getting accepted after the interview based on the raw numbers. If they send out 263 and 255 invites after interview in the past years, that means you have a 58% chance of getting accepted after the interview. That's very solid, since you pretty much know whether or not you'll be getting an interview beforehand for Western. From there, you can further improve your chances based on the relative amount of preparation you put into your interview compared to other applicants.

I wish other Ontario schools were as transparent about the admission process as Western is, though the transparency can lead to frustration too for people who barely fail to meet cutoffs.

So basically SWOMEN post-interview chances (60% acceptance 72/120) are the same as non-SWOMEN (58%)?

58 minutes ago, 2.gOoD said:

So basically SWOMEN post-interview chances (60% acceptance 72/120) are the same as non-SWOMEN (58%)?

Not necessarily. This would be true if the only advantage SWOMEN get is in the pre-interview stage. They might apply some post-interview weighting to SWOMEN that shifts the odds. Even if that's the case, you still have great odds as Non-SWOMEN if you get an interview, and as a SWOMEN, you'd have to have an extremely poor interview to not be accepted at some point. 

5 hours ago, VanillaUK said:

Oh yeah that's bizarre, they seem to have removed it from their website.

Luckily I have it downloaded. I can't attach it here because it exceeds the max file size, let me get back to you when I figure out a way to upload it.

EDIT: Let me know if this link works: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cFL_QLhKsLjXHfwz0oNiLjD5WLc7Ss7M/view?usp=sharing

Worked like a charm, thanks a bunch :D

Archived