Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
striders02

Should I Re-write a Strong Total MCAT Score Due to 127 CARS?

Hi all,

I'm a 3rd year Ontario non-SWOMEN undergrad student with an MCAT score of 131/127/131/128 (517 total). My GPA is ~3.98 and I have strong non-clinical ECs and clinical research experience. I'll be applying to Canadian med schools this upcoming summer, and if I don't get accepted I'll apply to Canadian and US med schools the following year.

I'm concerned that my 127 CARS shuts a lot of doors in Canada - I think I'm really only competitive for U of T, Queens, and Ottawa - so I'm considering re-writing. However, I'm concerned that re-writing will harm my chances at US med schools, as I've heard that US schools in general don't look favorably on re-writing without substantial improvement (I know that some US schools state on their website that they look at the most recent or highest MCAT, but I've seen others recommend interpreting those statements cautiously). I don't think I will be able to 'substantially improve'; realistically, my goal with a re-write would be to get a similar overall score with just a couple points higher in CARS.

I plan on submitting a Canadian application this upcoming cycle because Canada does not frown upon re-applicants so the potential of getting rejected this cycle is not a deterrent. However, I would need an additional year to get my US application prepared.

TL;DR: Should I re-write my MCAT (517 with 127 CARS) - bolstering my Canadian application if CARS improves (even if total score decreases) but potentially harming my US app - or just apply with my current MCAT score (in the 2017/18 cycle for Canada and in the 2018/19 cycle for US and Canada)?

I'd say just apply w your current stats. Your GPA is great, I don't think you'd have difficulty getting in in Canada. Unless you really want to go to the States? I'd actually rewrite if I was seriously considering US, I don't think they care that greatly how many times you've written as long as it's not >3 but I think it does make a difference if you can improve the less stellar sections