Premed 101 Forums

February 2018 DAT thoughts

43 minutes ago, Driillzz said:

i thinnk those who did well are simply more likely to post on the forum cz by looking at the scale distribution, it seems average to me.

Good point. I wonder why so many more people tend to post about the November DAT...

So how bad does an RC of 18 look if my AA is 22 and PAT is 24?

I was looking at admission stats for Western and they post averages for RC, which were pretty high. I'm assuming Western places more impact on RC. 

Do other dental school also place such importance on RC? (For Canadian and US dental schools)

Bio: 25 
Chem: 30 
PAT: 24 
RC: 23 
AA: 26 

I was ecstatic when I saw my scores, honestly felt like a dream for a few days. Just to give you all some background, this is my second time writing. The first time I scored 21AA/19PAT and I studied for about 2 months only using DATBootcamp. This time I spent all of my Christmas break studying up until the day of the DAT using a variety of resources (DATBootcamp, DATCrusher, Chad's videos and a Kaplan book) and changed my study schedule.

For future test writers, if you have enough time I strongly recommend you go over all the topics listed on CDA's website (https://www.cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/dat/information/) and know every topic for Biology and Chemistry VERY WELL. To give you some perspective how I studied, I went over Chad's videos once, the Kaplan book twice, and all of my notes several times. This was followed by a lot of practice tests to know where my weaknesses were. For the PAT, I used a combination of both Bootcamp and Crusher's tests, and when I had spare time I would use printable generators from Crusher to print out PAT worksheets (this is key! There's a huge difference between practicing the PAT on paper like the real DAT versus practicing on a computer). And at the end, I was consistently scoring close to perfect on all of those PAT sections. For the RC, I read a passage/article every night before going to bed and wrote down as much detail as I could remember. Over time, I was able to build my reading comprehension skills and some stamina. At the end of all of this, the most important thing I learned was that if you want to do exceptionally well, you have to work your butt off and then you'll get the score that you deserved. Inbox me if you have any questions :)

7 hours ago, Starburst said:

Bio: 25 
Chem: 30 
PAT: 24 
RC: 23 
AA: 26 

I was ecstatic when I saw my scores, honestly felt like a dream for a few days. Just to give you all some background, this is my second time writing. The first time I scored 21AA/19PAT and I studied for about 2 months only using DATBootcamp. This time I spent all of my Christmas break studying up until the day of the DAT using a variety of resources (DATBootcamp, DATCrusher, Chad's videos and a Kaplan book) and changed my study schedule.

For future test writers, if you have enough time I strongly recommend you go over all the topics listed on CDA's website (https://www.cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/dat/information/) and know every topic for Biology and Chemistry VERY WELL. To give you some perspective how I studied, I went over Chad's videos once, the Kaplan book twice, and all of my notes several times. This was followed by a lot of practice tests to know where my weaknesses were. For the PAT, I used a combination of both Bootcamp and Crusher's tests, and when I had spare time I would use printable generators from Crusher to print out PAT worksheets (this is key! There's a huge difference between practicing the PAT on paper like the real DAT versus practicing on a computer). And at the end, I was consistently scoring close to perfect on all of those PAT sections. For the RC, I read a passage/article every night before going to bed and wrote down as much detail as I could remember. Over time, I was able to build my reading comprehension skills and some stamina. At the end of all of this, the most important thing I learned was that if you want to do exceptionally well, you have to work your butt off and then you'll get the score that you deserved. Inbox me if you have any questions :)

Those are amazing scores! Was just wondering if you were taking courses at the same time? If you were, how did you balance that amount of studying with schoolwork? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 9:13 PM, cincotres said:

Those are amazing scores! Was just wondering if you were taking courses at the same time? If you were, how did you balance that amount of studying with schoolwork? 

Haha thanks! I was taking courses at the same time and the key was time-management and efficiency. Can't stress how important that was. For example in between study breaks for regular classes I would print PAT questions using crushers generator and just do those or just read random passages online. :)

On 5/10/2018 at 10:14 PM, Starburst said:

Haha thanks! I was taking courses at the same time and the key was time-management and efficiency. Can't stress how important that was. For example in between study breaks for regular classes I would print PAT questions using crushers generator and just do those or just read random passages online. :)

Hey! Congrants on your great scores! I'm writing the DAT on Nov 2018 for the first time, and was wondering if you have good websites for practice passages?

Archived