Premed 101 Forums

Applying to Ontario med schools with 0 publications

TheLeo

I will be apply to Ontario medical schools in September with 0 publications (as of right now, anyway). 

How important are publications to a student's application? I have several research-based papers that I could publish. They were done as part of my courses though.. so maybe they wouldn't even be considered.

Anyone know of any websites that are relatively easy to use for publishing / won't take long to do so?

Thanks

24 minutes ago, TheLeo said:

I will be apply to Ontario medical schools in September with 0 publications (as of right now, anyway). 

How important are publications to a student's application? I have several research-based papers that I could publish. They were done as part of my courses though.. so maybe they wouldn't even be considered.

Anyone know of any websites that are relatively easy to use for publishing / won't take long to do so?

Thanks

Are you a grad student? Publication isn't really expect from an undergraduate student. Lots of people get in with zero publications. 
It's important to understand that a publication to ANY journal isn't going to suffice. Many people would like to ensure their work goes to high impact journals. 

37 minutes ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Are you a grad student? Publication isn't really expect from an undergraduate student. Lots of people get in with zero publications. 
It's important to understand that a publication to ANY journal isn't going to suffice. Many people would like to ensure their work goes to high impact journals. 

Good to know, thanks. Not a grad student. If an undergrad were to publish an essay or two, which journal would you recommend? 

1 hour ago, TheLeo said:

Thanks

Try a UG student journal? Not sure if its as easy as you think. 

Most people get in with 0 pubs, some people have done research but few get pubs in time for their application. For med apps, I think pubs are the same as any other thing on your CV, it isn't any more special than an EC with some form of accomplishment like an award for example (this varies on school, McMaster doesn't even look at ECs and if you apply to UofT through their grad degree consideration i'm sure it matters much more). For CaRMS though research does get its own category and is more valuable. 

43 minutes ago, Edict said:

Try a UG student journal? Not sure if its as easy as you think. 

Most people get in with 0 pubs, some people have done research but few get pubs in time for their application. For med apps, I think pubs are the same as any other thing on your CV, it isn't any more special than an EC with some form of accomplishment like an award for example (this varies on school, McMaster doesn't even look at ECs and if you apply to UofT through their grad degree consideration i'm sure it matters much more). For CaRMS though research does get its own category and is more valuable. 

Thank-You!!

I had zero publications (and got into 3 when I applied).  You can list poster presentations at conferences on the research, talks you gave on the research, etc; listing the full title of the project.  Tbh I doubt any file reviewer would look closely enough to comprehend that it wasn't published.  People obsess over the nitty gritty on stuff like this a bit too much.  Unless youre gonna publish in nature, it wont make a big difference vs a poster/conference presentation.

4 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Your last point is great advice if you are trying to succeed as a grad student/researcher, but likely wont make a difference when applying to med school.  Most of the file reviewers are not involved in research, and if they are they are involved in clinical research.  They don't know the difference between good and poor journals with the exception of very major journals

2 hours ago, goleafsgochris said:

Your last point is great advice if you are trying to succeed as a grad student/researcher, but likely wont make a difference when applying to med school.  Most of the file reviewers are not involved in research, and if they are they are involved in clinical research.  They don't know the difference between good and poor journals with the exception of very major journals

Well, the journal definitely has to be peer-reviewed or it won't mean anything. It seems as if the OP wants to publish a paper in a non-peer reviewed journal which would likely add 0 impact to his application. 

On 2/26/2018 at 0:29 PM, Butterfly_ said:

I’m non trad and have 0 pubs and I got 3 interviews this year.

I don’t think I ever want to do research, not my cup of tea.

I’d say focus on your interests and do you what you’re passionate about.

If research is your passion, go for it, if not, don’t sweat it.

Better hope you get into U of A or McMaster, the UBC FLEX course is death :rolleyes: 95% of the class has no real interest in research and we're forced to engage in scholarly (usually research) oriented projects throughout 1st, 2nd, and 4th year.

Edit: this is mostly a joke, UBC is great and I don't mean to discourage you, I just hate FLEX

56 minutes ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Better hope you get into U of A or McMaster, the UBC FLEX course is death :rolleyes: 95% of the class has no real interest in research and we're forced to engage in scholarly (usually research) oriented projects throughout 1st, 2nd, and 4th year.

Edit: this is mostly a joke, UBC is great and I don't mean to discourage you, I just hate FLEX

*Head bangs against the wall*

Archived