Premed 101 Forums

Pre-requisite science GPA, post interview- IP

jtown

2 hours ago, FiftyshadesofMD said:

Does anyone know if they calculate GPA for both options and will use the one that renders a higher GPA ? I’ve applied to the DMD program, which apparently uses the same two options... 

"IF you have completed both OPTION 1 and OPTION 2, you will be evaluated using whichever set of courses is the most favorable to you."

Source: https://www.mcgill.ca/dentistry/files/dentistry/basic_concepts_2017-18_dentistry_0.pdf 

• 11 months later...
49 minutes ago, dentdreams101 said:

honestly, I don't really think the average matters if the interview is 70%. If you have an excellent MMI, and a 3.0 science GPA, im sure you can still get in !

Don’t agree with this... you never know how well you did on the interview and once you get refused, still you wouldn’t know if it was sGPA or the MMI that held you back. Just my two cents

On 3/1/2018 at 9:53 AM, medvet_montreal said:

I have to agree that it hardly makes sense that they would interview a candidate if they knew they had a prereq science GPA that was far far below what could be admitted. Would they not make sure to not interview people for which this may be the case, and instead save the interview spot for someone who would have more of a chance with their science prereq GPA?

What are your thoughts on whether they may skip the 80-20 weighing if they feel a candidate's prereqs GPA is old or not representative of the rest of their application?

I do have to disagree with you a bit on this one as I have a first hand experience last year. I won’t divulge too much as I have mentioned this numerous times during the interview week to people and I would rather stay fairy anonymous ;) that being said last year I had a terrible pre requisite gpa however I was waitlisted post refusal I got my rankings. Essentially I would have been accepted without waitlist if it wasn’t for my prereq gpa (ranked in the 50s for MMI) but my prereq gpa pushes my to the back. When I talked to the admission office they said interview invites are independent of prereq gpa, in other words you can have a very low prereq gpa but great degree gpa and be invited for the interview. In all cases they absolutely calculate the prereqs. 

Also, the prereq grade from what I understand is based on rankings, which means if you have 3.0 out of 4.0 you could gain 3/20 or 17/20, depending how everyone elses’ Score look. 

Tbh at this point there isn’t much we can do for this but in my case this was an amazing learning opportunity to a point that I retook all prereq courses. 

I honestly felt pretty bad post interview and am declining by the minute but all we can do is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. 

1 hour ago, cardiomed said:

I do have to disagree with you a bit on this one as I have a first hand experience last year. I won’t divulge too much as I have mentioned this numerous times during the interview week to people and I would rather stay fairy anonymous ;) that being said last year I had a terrible pre requisite gpa however I was waitlisted post refusal I got my rankings. Essentially I would have been accepted without waitlist if it wasn’t for my prereq gpa (ranked in the 50s for MMI) but my prereq gpa pushes my to the back. When I talked to the admission office they said interview invites are independent of prereq gpa, in other words you can have a very low prereq gpa but great degree gpa and be invited for the interview. In all cases they absolutely calculate the prereqs. 

Also, the prereq grade from what I understand is based on rankings, which means if you have 3.0 out of 4.0 you could gain 3/20 or 17/20, depending how everyone elses’ Score look. 

Tbh at this point there isn’t much we can do for this but in my case this was an amazing learning opportunity to a point that I retook all prereq courses. 

I honestly felt pretty bad post interview and am declining by the minute but all we can do is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. 

I agree with this too,

Just from personal experience last year I ranked 103/296 or whatever it was, however because of my prerequisites which are on the dot 3.2/4 this placed me on my prerequisite scale as 260/296 - I did not intend to pursue  medicine when I was in cegep then, and worked every weekend ( 15-20 hours a weekend) which def affected my studying time and wasn't too too serious about my marks back in the day either but now it definitely has an impact- it brought be down almost 53 points I ended up with a ranking of 156/300. Had it not been for my prerequisites I probably would have had a much better chance/ at least might have placed on waiting list perhaps who knows, but all to say that pre-requisites do really matter. Re-taking them is  quite a nuissance - as you have to take night classes 5-10 pm ( two classes a semester max 3 but usual is 2) as continuing education at Cegep you can't register as a day devision which means about 1.5 years to re-do them all. I would have done it but I work 8 - 7 PM most days so I unfortunately can't do this otherwise I would have. I am hoping this year I did enough on my interview to land a spot but those pre-requisites are going to haunt my application. My next step if I don't get in would be to write the MCAT ( as it would be weighted 50 percent) and 50 percent on prerequisites, if re-doing them is not an option this is an alternative to boost it for those whose prerequisites are low and where re-doing the courses is not an option 

9 hours ago, Cardiolove01 said:

I agree with this too,

Just from personal experience last year I ranked 103/296 or whatever it was, however because of my prerequisites which are on the dot 3.2/4 this placed me on my prerequisite scale as 260/296 - I did not intend to pursue  medicine when I was in cegep then, and worked every weekend ( 15-20 hours a weekend) which def affected my studying time and wasn't too too serious about my marks back in the day either but now it definitely has an impact- it brought be down almost 53 points I ended up with a ranking of 156/300. Had it not been for my prerequisites I probably would have had a much better chance/ at least might have placed on waiting list perhaps who knows, but all to say that pre-requisites do really matter. Re-taking them is  quite a nuissance - as you have to take night classes 5-10 pm ( two classes a semester max 3 but usual is 2) as continuing education at Cegep you can't register as a day devision which means about 1.5 years to re-do them all. I would have done it but I work 8 - 7 PM most days so I unfortunately can't do this otherwise I would have. I am hoping this year I did enough on my interview to land a spot but those pre-requisites are going to haunt my application. My next step if I don't get in would be to write the MCAT ( as it would be weighted 50 percent) and 50 percent on prerequisites, if re-doing them is not an option this is an alternative to boost it for those whose prerequisites are low and where re-doing the courses is not an option 

I second cardiolive01 because I had similar rankings.

However if you were to be refused before the interview just because they judged your pre req GPA non sufficient to ever be  admitted, you will never know for sure that it is only that portion that's dragging you down. 

But the good thing is, with such decent interview rankings, it's very possible to get in because you still have the opportunity to retake your science courses to increase the 20% portion which could play a lot in your favor. 

1 hour ago, Aegean said:

Do I have a chance with a 3.25 prereq gpa and 512 MCAT as an IP applicant?

They will probably weigh science GPA and MCAT 50/50 for you in the basic sciences evaluation (20% post MMI) since your MCAT is stronger than basic sci. It will most likely come down to how strongly you performed on MMI to boost your overall rank! (in junction with others' basic sciences / MMI ranks to know if you're one of the 79 admitted, of course). Having said that, it's hard for any of us to really judge how well we did on the MMI given that we don't know exactly what they're looking for and of course, how others performed overall. 

Archived