Premed 101 Forums

Queens pre-interview criteria ?

Im just started considering queens and Im wondering, like Mac has high CARS and CASPER scores, western high MCAT. does queens have a certain factor that sort of gives you an advantage pre interview? know nothing is guarantee when it comes to med school. but from the research i've done cant seem to find a 'golden key' for queens pre-interview. i've read good ECs are helpful but don't know what to range as good ECs. sorry if this post is redundant but would appreciate any responses.

Queens does consider all factors of your application (GPA, MCAT, ECs, LOR post-interview) but they have never specified how they weigh it or what the cutoffs are. They're known for being a black box in this regard, but you can look through the invites thread to get an idea of the diverse applicants they look for. 

I doubt there is a golden key as Queens is pretty holistic in their assessment so all you can do is put your best application forward and give it a shot

See their admissions site for official details.

Queens uses GPA and MCAT as a cutoff. Based on hear say, the weighted GPA cutoff for undergrad is 3.8 (lower for grad students) and the MCAT cutoff is usually 125 or 126 min in each section and a min 509 - 512 overall depending on the year. Nothing freakishly high. The academic cuts for Queen's are not the road block for most people. The extracurricular evaluation is. 

You need to have well rounded, "special", EC's to get an interview at Queen's. According to their website, they narrow the pool down to 2000 candidates using GPA/MCAT and then narrow that down to 500 using EC's and reference letter scores. Having any research pubs/conferences/posters definitely helps, but it's technically "not required". (Then again, having a high GPA or MCAT "is not required" at other schools, but it sure helps). So in sum, Queen's is a VERY EC heavy school.

As far as I can tell, it's about doing ECs that are a mix of well-rounded and also you have a few things that are really unique to you and your interests. But that's just speculation! I got an interview this cycle and have no research at all (well unless you count a non-sciences, directed research course, but that involved basically just doing a glorified bibliography lol).

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2018 at 0:39 PM, jr2 said:

Queens only uses GPA and MCAT as a cutoff. Based on hear say, the weighted GPA cutoff for undergrad is 3.8 (lower for grad students) and the MCAT cutoff is usually 125 or 126 min in each section and a min 509 - 512 overall depending on the year. Nothing freakishly high. The academic cuts for Queen's are not the road block for most people. The extracurricular evaluation is. 

You need to have well rounded, "special", EC's to get an interview at Queen's. According to their website, they narrow the pool down to 2000 candidates using GPA/MCAT and then narrow that down to 500 using EC's and reference letter scores. I'm 100% sure my GPA and MCAT were both above the thresholds, but Queen's didn't like my extracurriculars, so I was rejected. I left my OMSAS research section blank though. Having any research pubs/conferences/posters definitely helps, but it's technically "not required". (Then again, having a high GPA or MCAT "is not required" at other schools, but it sure as hell helps). So in sum, Queen's is a VERY EC heavy school. 

This isn't true. Interview invites are based off a ranking that includes GPA, MCAT, reference letters and the sketch. While we do not know the relative weighting of the components, they are not only used as a cutoff. 

Archived