Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Getting jumped at Queen’s for being Asian

I remember doing an elective at queens. My girlfriend (who is caucasian, I'm not) got so many stares down the street. 

One group of people (students) openly laughed and pointed fingers at us across the street, yelling some racial slurs. 

I don't know what it is about Kingston to be honest - I thought Alberta would be worse, but actually there are quite a high number of inter-racial couples here and everyone's been delightful :)

I studied at Queen’s for 4 years. While I do agree that there is a small Asian population, I personally never experienced any racism that was as blatant as described in the article. 

Racism is prevalent all across Canada, even in Vancovuer, I’ve been called a “Chink” on the street for no reason. 

It’s sad that this happened, but I’m sure it’s not that norm at Queen’s.

Queen’s is a fantastic school, don’t let one bad apple deter you from going there!

3 hours ago, distressedpremed said:

I remember doing an elective at queens. My girlfriend (who is caucasian, I'm not) got so many stares down the street. 

One group of people (students) openly laughed and pointed fingers at us across the street, yelling some racial slurs. 

I don't know what it is about Kingston to be honest - I thought Alberta would be worse, but actually there are quite a high number of inter-racial couples here and everyone's been delightful :)

I'm currently at Queen's for grad studies. I read this article a month ago and it really bothered me. Did this happen to you late at night when people are intoxicated or did it happen in broad daylight?

Here's the **DELETED** thread from Queen's and the accounts of other people that experienced similar situations. 

I asked my friends because I was concerned that this will happen to me eventually. I've never been called a single racial term in my life but I feel like I am overdue for one. I asked him in this situation what is the best thing to do? If you choose to fight back, you run the risk of getting charged since self-defence laws are so bullshit. With this on your record, your med school chances are pretty much done. If you choose to take it or run away, it's not exactly an ideal solution either.

8 hours ago, cw2lu4 said:

I'm currently at Queen's for grad studies. I read this article a month ago and it really bothered me. Did this happen to you late at night when people are intoxicated or did it happen in broad daylight?

Here's the **DELETED** thread from Queen's and the accounts of other people that experienced similar situations. 

I asked my friends because I was concerned that this will happen to me eventually. I've never been called a single racial term in my life but I feel like I am overdue for one. I asked him in this situation what is the best thing to do? If you choose to fight back, you run the risk of getting charged since self-defence laws are so bullshit. With this on your record, your med school chances are pretty much done. If you choose to take it or run away, it's not exactly an ideal solution either.

It happened during the day on a weekend. It was broad daylight. She just visited me for a bit while I was in Kingston - definitely soured her experience as well.  

I think other people are correct - you can't let one bad experience ruin your perception of the city.  I just didn't feel very safe after it happened and definitely I was on edge for the rest of my elective. My girlfriend did like the food options though, some of the restaurants were really nice. 

On 3/2/2018 at 12:38 PM, distressedpremed said:

wow that's crazy...