Premed 101 Forums

Unfilled carms spots

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sasquatchfever said:

beeboop the SK stats are alright with me! So many great docs and teachers here, I'd be stoked to do residency here, especially in Regina

No disrespect to sask at all intended- in a similar vein, im loving the unfilled spots in psych since that is what i will be going for next year, haha

14 minutes ago, beeboop said:

looks like IM was way less competitive this year than last year as well. People were starting to really worry about that lol. 

Also jeez, nobody wants to go to saskachewan eh. So many unfilled spots across the board, ouch

what makes you say that? It doesnt look like theres many unfilled positions aside from the very undesirable locations (or return of service residency programs)

Was backing up with Radiation Oncology, interesting to see how that jumped in competitiveness this year.

I matched to MUN rads so I'm ecstatic, but had my Sask rads interview rescinded as I did not do casper. I would have been happy there as well.

Over the moon with my match though :D

Wow, what is going on in Calgary?

11 (!!!) FM residency spots unfilled...

1 Anesthesia unfilled...

1 Vascular surgery unfilled...

And I'm looking at this list and envy those people who wanted to to FM or IM as first choice, and applied widely. You are virtually guaranteed to match on the first iteration, with a little bit of an open mind about where you would be willing to move to.

1 hour ago, Dermviser said:

They were very picky with who they interviewed

yeah, I was wondering the same thing... thought it was a bit strange for 11 seats to be free. just because big program with lots of seats? or undesirable? or.. not a good program???

1 hour ago, humhum said:

Wow, what is going on in Calgary?

11 (!!!) FM residency spots unfilled...

1 Anesthesia unfilled...

1 Vascular surgery unfilled...

And I'm looking at this list and envy those people who wanted to to FM or IM as first choice, and applied widely. You are virtually guaranteed to match on the first iteration, with a little bit of an open mind about where you would be willing to move to.

Isn't that the "normal" situation in CARMS though - as much as anything is normal. Last year was an outlier with IM but for most (again most isn't all) people in most years that apply to FM or IM broadly will get it somewhere. 

25 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Isn't that the "normal" situation in CARMS though - as much as anything is normal. Last year was an outlier with IM but for most (again most isn't all) people in most years that apply to FM or IM broadly will get it somewhere. 

I think the number of unfilled spots in a highly desirable city like Calgary is a very significant outlier this year. We have not seen double digit open spots in a top living quality city in FM for half a decade now.

Archived