Premed 101 Forums

Rad onc fully filled

never thought i'd see the day. Possibly has to do something with opening up job market (although it's far from being wide open) or more effort to get students introduced to the specialty earlier on in med school. Competitiveness really shot up this year, 40 applicants for 18 english speaking spots.

9 minutes ago, penguin92 said:

never thought i'd see the day. Possibly has to do something with opening up job market (although it's far from being wide open) or more effort to get students introduced to the specialty earlier on in med school. Competitiveness really shot up this year, 40 applicants for 18 english speaking spots.

Ha, so hard to predict with the smaller fields :)

ahhhh data, I love analyzing data. 

15 minutes ago, penguin92 said:

Where did you see those results?

^sorry the applicant numbers I’m basing off from my center. I don’t know the actual numbers yet until carms publishes them but its likely significantly higher than previous years as anecdoctally there were more applicants this year, and serious ones, not simply backing up with rad onc

1 hour ago, marrakech said:

I'm surprised that radiology had 6 spots left over (2 in English).  Is the job market that different between radiology and rad onc?  

They are entirely different specialties, with different lifestyles, different compensation etc. Its honest apples to oranges comparing the two.

13 minutes ago, thestar10 said:

They are entirely different specialties, with different lifestyles, different compensation etc. Its honest apples to oranges comparing the two.

I realize they’re quite different, but I’ve still heard of people with interest in both specialties.  I was simply curious on a job level whether their outlooks were similar.

Archived