Premed 101 Forums

Schulich Interview Invites 2018

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ysoNaCly said:

Is there a waitlist for interview invites? Or do the odds get better the more people reject their interview offer? 

Last year, there was no waitlist for interview invites as far as I remember. They just made the odds better for those who interviewed. I think the high waitlist never cleared post-interview but it was close based on the people who posted here (I was high waitlisted and got accepted in June).

4 hours ago, longhaul said:

Congrats to those who were invited! We’re all really looking forward to meet you.

If you have any general questions about the procedure of the interview weekend, quote me in this thread and I’ll publicly respond when I can :)

I’ll gladly help out longhaul here with inquires about Schulich! If you guys have questions about the interview process, curriculum or anything about Schulich, quote us and we’ll respond ASAP! Congrats again and we can’t wait to meet all of you!

53 minutes ago, Incisor94 said:

I’ll gladly help out longhaul here with inquires about Schulich! If you guys have questions about the interview process, curriculum or anything about Schulich, quote us and we’ll respond ASAP! Congrats again and we can’t wait to meet all of you!

1 hour ago, longhaul said:

From what I know, last year no waitlist was present for interview invites

Any idea how many are interviewed?

36 minutes ago, Coronaxtra said:

It may have been your ECs or PS. I think someone last year got rejected pre interview with higher stats too so it’s not too uncommon. 

I see. I had several years of shadowing and three different jobs so I felt that was one of my strongest areas, but who knows. Thanks for the insight!

55 minutes ago, MDS.Dent said:

I see. I had several years of shadowing and three different jobs so I felt that was one of my strongest areas, but who knows. Thanks for the insight!

I have no dentistry shadowing experience and only one job and I got an invite.. I don't think they're looking for what we think they're looking for lol

1 hour ago, MDS.Dent said:

maybe they want to see if you were involved in clubs/volunteering as well? not sure though

I can imagine that long term commitments would be favoured over many short term commitments and perhaps more variety in terms of ECs. But I'm sure the biggest factor was the personal statement and how well you described yourself and your desire to pursue dentistry. It really seems like Western is trying to select the most well-rounded applicants and their selection process is becoming more like medicine. 

2 minutes ago, ysoNaCly said:

I can imagine that long term commitments would be favoured over many short term commitments and perhaps more variety in terms of ECs. But I'm sure the biggest factor was the personal statement and how well you described yourself and your desire to pursue dentistry. It really seems like Western is trying to select the most well-rounded applicants and their selection process is becoming more like medicine. 

I think you're right, I had really low DAT scores but I imagine a good enough application to warrant an invite

Invited ! Super surprised. So to all you guys who have relatively low grades like me next year keep that hope up ! :)

GPA (top 2 years): 84.4% (currently in 4th year) 

DAT: 23 RC / 21 AA / 22 PAT

ECs: exec in 4 school clubs + other club involvements, research since second year, over 100h shadowing, job as an assistant secretary in a medical office  

2 hours ago, longhaul said:

Incisor94 correct me if I’m mistaken, but I think I remember people called last year and shared that around 250 were invited to interview I believe 

Edit: 2.gOoD is right

Yeah so 200 people initially were called and 14 people dropped, mostly those who got into UBC since those acceptances came out pretty early. 

We were told in the first few weeks that there has been a shift to applicants who have higher education (Masters, PhD), a great PS that makes them stand out, and ECs that show CDA competencies. I think its just Schulichs method of looking for more well-rounded individuals and what every person brings to the table in the class. In our class, there are people with physics, math and stats, environmental sciences, philosophy backgrounds. Its not purely a numbers game like UofT so you see a wider range of applicants.

3 hours ago, MDS.Dent said:

Maybe it had to do with the new rules, like having 3.0/5.0 courses of the same year, or needing >75 in physiology/orgo/biochem?

23 minutes ago, 2.gOoD said:

@Incisor94 would you be able to share with us some interesting things about the curriculum that make Western Dent stand out compared to other schools? 

Ah the famous Schulich curriculum. I'll give an overview as to how first year is so you have an idea of what we've done so far.

So we start off in first year with a course called Core Biology from September to October that brings everyone in the class on the same playing field. It covers topics such as Microbio, anatomy, physiology, head and neck, immunology, and some dental intro topics in saliva and mineralization. We also have Ethics and Biomaterials running concurrently till December. From October till January, we take the "General Medicine" Block courses which include gross anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology and general medicine. Its structured such that you have anatomy on Monday, physiology on Tuesday, pathology on Wednesday, pharmacology on Thursday and General medicine on Friday. FYI, general medicine brings together all the material you learned throughout the week into one case-based course to learn how to think like a practitioner (medical management of dental patients). It runs like this for each system (cardio, resp, renal, etc.) where we have midterms in December and finals in January. Dental Anatomy and Oral Histology also starts in October and continue till December and February respectively. You start wax ups in sim clinic in dental anatomy which is fun!

Essentially, you have 10 courses running simultaneously from October to December and 12 exams in December. In late January-Early Feb, you have 9 exams for the remaining courses. Its not the most attractive part of Schulichs curriculum but it has a lot of upside to it. In first year, we do pharmacology and general medicine (I know some schools take pharm in second year) so that we start thinking like practitioners before even going up into the main clinic. Not all schools take a course in general medicine but I feel the material that we learn in that course really prepares us to diagnose and learn medical management in depth. Also, our sim clinic is state of the art, newly renovated and worth every dollar. Its nice being able to spend time in a space that has new materials and equipment instead of the old sim clinic which doesn't even compare to what we have now!

Also, Schulich has fewer grad departments (ortho, oral surg) so students in upper years get more cases sent to them from what I've heard while shadowing them. The small class is a benefit since we're all tight knit, have intramural teams and go out together as a class! Of course every school isn't perfect and has their issues but I've been pretty happy so far here. @longhaul and @Waves can fill in anything I've missed but if you have any specific questions, let me know!

Archived