Schulich Interview Invites 2018

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2018-03-05 at 4:35 PM, emcat said:

Invite

GPA (top 2 years): 3.98 or 97%

DAT (AA/RC/PAT): 24/25/22

ECs: 2 years of working experience after undergrad as a research coordinator at an oral oncology and maxillofacial prosthetics clinic, service trip to central America as a dental assistant, ~50 hours of shadowing at private general practice and ~40 at an orthodontist, loads of research experience and ECs in undergrad

I'll likely be turning down the invite as I've accepted UofT already. BUT, I wanted to offer a word of encouragement to people who had great applications but didn't get in last year or won't get in this year even though they're good candidates. I got rejected everywhere last year (even with the above stats), but tried again and have been successful. Keep trying! Don't give up on an entire life-long career after just one or two years of applications! 

What did you feel you did differently? I also got rejected last year but only from Dal. Was it just your interview? Did you do more ECs? You have amazing stats

On 3/16/2018 at 1:39 PM, Flipperoni said:

Does anyone know how many people they are interviewing this year?

Last year it was 186 after 200 invites were sent out. I would assume it would be around that number, maybe a bit less since UofT is out earlier this year compared to UBC coming out early last year.

1 hour ago, Coronaxtra said:

Last year it was 186 after 200 invites were sent out. I would assume it would be around that number, maybe a bit less since UofT is out earlier this year compared to UBC coming out early last year.

I would assume it's a lot less than that actually since U of T takes mostly Ontarians, and mostly Ontarians apply to western right?

4 hours ago, Flipperoni said:

I would assume it's a lot less than that actually since U of T takes mostly Ontarians, and mostly Ontarians apply to western right?

Ever since the ABS/PS, the interviewed pool between UWO and UofT started to overlap in candidates less. Contrast that to years prior where practically all those that interviewed for one almost interviewed for the other. Because of that, I’d expect similar numbers of interviews at UWO this year 

UWO also has no cap on OOP applicants they admit, so I’d assume more OOP apply as well

2 minutes ago, Flipperoni said:

Thanks @longhaul, I didn't know that actually

Would you expect then that the waitlist movement would be similar to past years that used ABS/PS?

The waitlists haven't moved much in the past two years. Last year, the high waitlist didn't even clear and that was supposed to be a very conservative estimate of people receiving offers. The shift in the applicant pool has made the waitlist movement slow down at UWO so I wouldn't expect it to be any different this year, expect minimal movement.

On 2018-03-02 at 7:50 PM, Incisor94 said:

I can’t comment much about it but I think longhaul mentioned it’s beneficial to know personal experiences and try being yourself! I personally found CDA style questions beneficial for practice though so it wouldn’t hurt to look at those resources.

I agree. Also - as was stated in another thread - while they said "it is no longer cda" - the experiences of many last year were that it still felt a lot like a CDA interview. I'm going the route of better over prepared than not - as long as we keep it natural. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, lemon_tree said:

What did you feel you did differently? I also got rejected last year but only from Dal. Was it just your interview? Did you do more ECs? You have amazing stats

This year I took the interviews way more seriously. I went to a speech language pathologist to get interview training. I'd always felt I was generally good at interviews since I've gotten pretty much every job I've ever interviewed for and I had to interview to get into my undergrad, but the SLP helped me take it to the next level.  Most schools consider interviews to be worth at least 30% of your admissions score. Think about it, if you spend 4 years working to get a great GPA, why only spend a couple days working on your interview skills? They're worth almost the same (again, depends on the school, but you get my point). 

Other than that I had an extra year of work experience and about 20 more shadowing hours.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, fretting said:

I don’t know how it slipped my mind but I forgot to get a 4x6 photo taken to give at registration - can I give it to them later and bring a passport photo for now? I don’t know what to do

Go to costco and print off a 30 cent one if your interview is tomorrow

2 hours ago, fretting said:

I don’t know how it slipped my mind but I forgot to get a 4x6 photo taken to give at registration - can I give it to them later and bring a passport photo for now? I don’t know what to do

I brought a passport photo and a 4x6 and she preferred my passport photo! So just bring that

17 minutes ago, Sherbert said:

How did you guys feel about your interviews? Personally, I feel like I messed mine up (not enough personal experiences woven in my answers and they didn't feel structured enough) and now I'm overanalyzing... ahhhh

Its normal to feel like that! Don't worry too much about it, it's not in your control now! take it easy for the month:)

Archived