Premed 101 Forums

List of Canadian-friendly USMD Schools - 2019 ver.

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:56 PM, dorsalfinnnn said:

Hi sorry I'm new to premed and I'm really confused with this thread. Are these the schools that are good for Canadian students to apply to? Like do they consider us with their US applicants or are we disadvantaged even with these schools?

For the most part, disadvantaged even with these schools. But they are certainly better for Canadian students to apply to. 

• 6 months later...

Any input on how second degrees splay into the GPA calculations or how to convert a Canadian GPA to the AMCAS scale. Prior research has suggested that  an 80%+ at UWO and other Canadian schools converts to a 4.0. My understanding is also that returning to Canada is easier with a USMD, than an international MD in the Caribbean, Ireland or Australia.

Here is a 2015 AMCAS conversion schedule I found: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/10/ab/10ab9407-7134-4477-9fc9-140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 10:29 AM, Serendi said:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

MSAR says they don't accept Canadians. 

From their website:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR THE 2019- 2020 ACADEMIC YEAR:  The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is transitioning from its prior relationship with Yeshiva University to an independent degree-granting institution.  As part of this transition, Einstein has applied to the U.S. government for permission to sponsor student visas. Unfortunately, at this time, the application is still pending and we are not yet able to sponsor student visas. Therefore, we will be unable to accept applications from, or admit international students this year.  It is our hope that we will be able to consider international applications in the future.  If so, the instructions below will apply. "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 10:29 AM, Serendi said:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

• NOT ACCEPTING CANADIAN/INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS FOR 2019-2020 CYCLE!
  • MSAR 2018: 3.82/515, 5 International Matriculants.
  • MSAR 2017: 3.83/516, 5 International Matriculants.
  • CoA $290K. Has an escrow requirement: 2 year for Non-Canadians, half of 1 year tuition for Canadians.
  • Financial aid is available through Einstein Scholarship and College Loan Funds.
  • Requires 1 year post-secondary education in US/Canada.

Not their fault, they became an independent school and can’t give visas to international students at this time.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/21/2020 at 8:25 PM, canadian.premed said:

Does anyone know if the schools that give aid to international students are need blind? Would requiring aid hurt your chances of getting an interview and being accepted? Thanks

@Serendi

Interested in knowing this as well if anyone can answer. Also, would anyone happen to know if there is a more recent thread about this topic?

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Redface said:

If I completed by degree in Canada and will be applying to American medical schools living in the US with a green card how will I be evaluated? Am I a American or Canadian applicant? Will this increase my chances in American medical schools? 

American - see my response in the other thread you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...