Premed 101 Forums

DOTP Experience and Insights

(1) What is the process of applying for the DOTP like and how competitive is it to get in (academically and physically)? 

(2) Is it possible to apply for the DOTP during your second or third year of dental school? 

(3) I feel like I would like working for the Canadian Forces as I always have had a knack for adventure, but if I had to end my contract earlier (e.g. if I wanted to open a private practice even before my obligatory service ends), how huge will the penalty be?

(4) I know it helps to be bilingual but do the Forces still consider you if you only speak English?

Also, feel free to share your experiences about going through the DOTP and also your life as a dental officer. What is your everyday life like and how do you like it? Thank you!!

1. you apply online and then go through a process (aptitude test, interview, medical exam) to determine your eligibility. assuming everything goes well (takes like 2 mths), you will be merit listed and ranked, then they take however many. It is competitive but mainly depends on your luck of how many spots available vs how many applicants.

2. yes, I started DOTP in my second year. 

3. penalty is huge. its everything you have been paid for, tuition, allowances, cost of courses (generally 400k+) and even if u r desperate to get out, this process takes min 6 mths to a year. 

4. no need to speak french. 

paperwork is a pain... and getting things done takes forever, you just have to stay on top of things yourself. the life during the school year is just like normal civilian, except you need to go into the base at Downsview a few times a year. 

Hello marwii, thank you for your response.    It’s good to hear answers from someone who’s gone through the process. 

Becuase you applied in your second year, did they pay for your D1 tuition and fees or do they only start covering costs from the year you got in and onwards?

Also, odd question but is it necessary that one needs to know how to swim to be considered in the program? 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, malkynn said:

Just my personal opinion: I would never do this. 

For me, personally, the main benefit of being a dentist is the autonomy and freedom to work the way that I want to. 

If I don’t like one job, I can easily pick up another one. If I want to work for myself alone, I can own a practice. 

After so many years of school where our lives are dictated and controlled, I would never give up any length of personal freedom that I now have. It’s my most valuable resource. 

That’s just me. I’m sure it’s a great program for many others who have different priorities. I’m just weighing in because it’s hard for students to fathom how valuable freedom and autonomy is when they’ve never had it. 

I wouldn’t discourage anyone from doing this, I would just caution that you take on such a massive commitment carefully and maybe ask a bunch of dentists why they chose not to before diving in. 

I absolutely agree. It really isn't for everyone and despite some financial benefits (earlier on), I've said previously that we know money cant buy happiness, so don't sacrifice your happiness for money either!

On 2018-03-14 at 7:03 AM, malkynn said:

Just my personal opinion: I would never do this. 

For me, personally, the main benefit of being a dentist is the autonomy and freedom to work the way that I want to. 

If I don’t like one job, I can easily pick up another one. If I want to work for myself alone, I can own a practice. 

After so many years of school where our lives are dictated and controlled, I would never give up any length of personal freedom that I now have. It’s my most valuable resource. 

That’s just me. I’m sure it’s a great program for many others who have different priorities. I’m just weighing in because it’s hard for students to fathom how valuable freedom and autonomy is when they’ve never had it. 

I wouldn’t discourage anyone from doing this, I would just caution that you take on such a massive commitment carefully and maybe ask a bunch of dentists why they chose not to before diving in. 

That is true; it’s not really the easiest decision to make as it has a lot of pros and cons. I’ll think about it more once I get into dentistry. For now I should worry about getting in first. :) One step at a time, right? Thank you for your advice! 

5 hours ago, Cdnomfs said:

I stumbled on this thread and I wanted to provide some insight. I am a CDN military OMFS, all I can say is that the experience has been fantastic thus far and I have no regrets about joining. Financially and personally rewarding!

First of all, thank you for your service!

Also, did you do the DOTP route? 

Yes I did; the earlier you join the better because the pension clock starts as soon as you enroll. It would be very very difficult to amass a comparable pension on the private side especially now with all the rule changes to passive income within the professional corporations. 

• 1 year later...

@Cdnomfs @marwii

Hey guys, I am an internationally trained dentist and am also planning on joining the DOTP. My goal first is to challenge NDEB's AFK and then apply to a Dental School, particularly the U of A Advanced Placement. Any updates you guys could give me? Do you find it still very competitive to join the DOTP, particularly after 3rd year Dental School???

Thanks,

morenoDDS