Premed 101 Forums

Does field of research matter?

Anaik

Hi there!

I was wondering what the value of “non-medically related” research is like?

Unfortunately the university I attend has very little health-research, so I’ve worked as a research assistant in two labs: one regarding conservation biology, and another regarding genetics in certain marine species.

They were both great experiences, and while I I’ve learned a lot from them, I’m a little concerned that the nature of the research might make it much less appealing on an application as opposed to something related to human health.

Thanks! :) 

It doesn't really matter, research is research. It might be slightly less appealing in the interview because you might not be able to connect with your interviewer on research, but there are plenty of things to talk about in the interview. A guy in my class only did research on potatoes and had no problem getting in.

8 minutes ago, Galaxsci said:

It doesn't really matter, research is research. It might be slightly less appealing in the interview because you might not be able to connect with your interviewer on research, but there are plenty of things to talk about in the interview. A guy in my class only did research on potatoes and had no problem getting in.

That’s good to hear!

Thanks so for your input :)

9 hours ago, Galaxsci said:

I must meet this man. Potatoes - such magical root vegetables

Archived