Premed 101 Forums

OOP Wait List Scores

OOP Wait List Scores  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What was your final decision score?

• 78+
    • 77-77.9
    • 76-76.9
    • 75-75.9
    • 74-74.9
    • 73-73.9
    • 72-72.9
    • 71-71.9
    • 70-70.9
    • 69-69.9
    • 60-69

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Yeeewww said:

Last's years anonymous poll had 14 replies. My best guess is that there is 20-25 people on the wait list. 

I think you are right with that number. It's about what I have heard. Do you know how many people actually get off the OOP wait list in a given year? 

5 minutes ago, Xalumn16 said:

I think you are right with that number. It's about what I have heard. Do you know how many people actually get off the OOP wait list in a given year? 

It varies per year. I have heard the waitlist has / can move significantly. Last year, some candidates received acceptance letters as late as June 5th. 

37 minutes ago, Xalumn16 said:

It depends completely on the decisions that the accepted student make, which varies from year to year. I read a sub somewhere that said in 2016-17 the waitlist moved 8 spots but take this with a HUGE grain of NaCl because it can be completely different this year.

11 hours ago, 2.gOoD said:

Seems strange that someone with a 78+ score would get waitlisted considering the average is 72.5. Kinda scares me now

At this point, I think the thing that really matters is how many other offers the 9 accepted applicants get and take. The people with 78+ scores are likely (though you cant say definitely) to get offers down the line in May. 

Did anyone notice that the letter they sent us also had this stipulation:

We are excited to inform you that, in this year of our 150th anniversary, in addition to positions at the Dalhousie Medicine Campus in Halifax, Nova Scotia , we may have positions available in the Class of 2022 for Non-Maritime applicants at the Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick Campus based in Saint John, New Brunswick. Campus allocation of Non-Maritime applicants is contingent on position availability at either the Halifax or the Saint John campus. Availability will fluctuate as it is dependent on wait-list movement. Wait-list movement occurs from the time of initial admissions offers until registration day on August 27, 2018. It depends entirely on whether offers of a position made to applicants are accepted or declined and is completely outside the control of the Admissions Office. For these reasons, we do not provide applicants their position on the wait-list.

Can anyone share some insight on what this may mean? 

Hey, 

Current Med 1 here. So, without giving too many details, the number of NB applicants eligible for interviewing this round was low. Meaning that, the number of NB applicants interviewed was close to the number of seats available (30). Remember, all in-province applicants that meet the GPA, MCAT, and Casper requirements are automatically interviewed.  Speculation that with the introduction of the casper, the number of eligible applicants decreased. Dal is not going to fill the NB seats with NB students that did not meet the acceptable application score for this round. Meaning that there are empty seats in NB. These seats will be filled with OOP; the Nova Scotia campus has done this in the past by increasing OOP acceptances, so NB is doing the same. Hope this helps!

6 minutes ago, NotADoctor said:

Hey, 

Current Med 1 here. So, without giving too many details, the number of NB applicants eligible for interviewing this round was low. Meaning that, the number of NB applicants interviewed was close to the number of seats available (30). Remember, all in-province applicants that meet the GPA, MCAT, and Casper requirements are automatically interviewed.  Speculation that with the introduction of the casper, the number of eligible applicants decreased. Dal is not going to fill the NB seats with NB students that did not meet the acceptable application score for this round. Meaning that there are empty seats in NB. These seats will be filled with OOP; the Nova Scotia campus has done this in the past by increasing OOP acceptances, so NB is doing the same. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense! So have any OOP been accepted to NB yet? Or are they still waiting to see how many NB applicants accept their offers?

There is something seems very odd about the distribution of the scores in the poll. The letter says that the "average" of all those either wait listed or accepted is 72.5. There is ambiguity about whether they are referring to the mean or median but in either case you can tell that something is strange. Assuming that there are at least nine more candidates with fairly high scores (possibly more), there would have to be more than 19 people on the wait list who scored below a 72.5 (since there are 10 wait list scores substantially above that mark). That does seem like a fairly large wait list given what I thought I understood of Dalhousie's system. Perhaps the post above explains this a bit more. Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Xalumn16 said:

There is something seems very odd about the distribution of the scores in the poll. The letter says that the "average" of all those either wait listed or accepted is 72.5. There is ambiguity about whether they are referring to the mean or median but in either case you can tell that something is strange. Assuming that there are at least nine more candidates with fairly high scores (possibly more), there would have to be more than 19 people on the wait list who scored below a 72.5 (since there are 10 wait list scores substantially above that mark). That does seem like a fairly large wait list given what I thought I understood of Dalhousie's system. Perhaps the post above explains this a bit more. Any thoughts?

Why are you assuming these remaining candidates have fairly high scores? 

Also, the 60-69, and 78+ could be misleading. For all we know the highest and lowest scores could be 78 and 69 respectively.

If I had to guess, I don't think this means there is a larger waitlist.

1 hour ago, 2.gOoD said:

Why are you assuming these remaining candidates have fairly high scores? 

Also, the 60-69, and 78+ could be misleading. For all we know the highest and lowest scores could be 78 and 69 respectively.

If I had to guess, I don't think this means there is a larger waitlist.

I mean the nine (at least) who received initial acceptances. I assume they have scores that rival those in the high 70s.

If it is any help, the facebook group for the NB campus has 21 students on it... giving that there might be a few that don't know about the group, it is safe to say there are 5-7 seats open for OOP? 

Crossing fingers for you all on the waitlist! I know the how painful the wait is.

17 hours ago, NotADoctor said:

Hey, 

Thanks for the info!! Any idea if everyone is eligible for NB seats, or if it was something that was indicated on the application? 

I'm not sure what you mean. The NB campus is typically only for NB residents; the NB seats that were in Halifax were moved when the new campus opened. 30 seats are allocated here. Because of the empty seats this round, Dal will be filling the positions with OOP students. I don't know the official reasons, but I am assuming that they are going with OOP because there tends to be more OOP waitlisted in "reserve" compared to in province applicants, and Nova Scotia/PEI students go to the Halifax campus. 

16 minutes ago, NotADoctor said:

I'm not sure what you mean. The NB campus is typically only for NB residents; the NB seats that were in Halifax were moved when the new campus opened. 30 seats are allocated here. Because of the empty seats this round, Dal will be filling the positions with OOP students. I don't know the official reasons, but I am assuming that they are going with OOP because there tends to be more OOP waitlisted in "reserve" compared to in province applicants, and Nova Scotia/PEI students go to the Halifax campus. 

I suspect that if this rumor about the Saint John campus spots is true, there would likely not be a specific bias of one group over another but simply picking those students with the highest scores. It is my understanding that the OOP wait list typically has higher scores than the IP or NB wait list. If this assumption is also true, then it stands to reason that more people would get offers in NB from the OOP wait list than from other wait lists. This all assumes Dal will not give preference to IP students.

To respond to your last point, if they wanted to, they could simply expand the IP wait list. There is something odd going on with the OOP wait list this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 10:54 AM, Yeeewww said:

Last's years anonymous poll had 14 replies. My best guess is that there is 20-25 people on the wait list. 

Should be about 20-25 last year and went to 13-15 before all OOP spots were filled.  Good luck.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:49 PM, NotADoctor said:

Hey, 

Do you know when they are releasing these spots?

Archived