Premed 101 Forums

Decision day

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Koopatroopa said:

:confused:  It's going to be a long two months... 

It's my first year applying, and this process is so long and so exhausting! All of us deserve a vacation in May regardless of the outcomes! 

yeah it always is - nothing about this - or for that matter any other step down the line is short and sweet ha. If possible, where possible, distract yourself with other things :)

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Persephone said:

I understand why they might have to stagger them, but I wish they'd all just go out at once. So much nail-biting.

Although the worst for me last year was sleeping the night before, my routine on decision day seemingly reduced nail-bitting: mute all text, facebook, snap (etc.), and non-work email notifications for the day. Be super efficient at work to keep your mind occupied, come home and check the forums to make sure notifications have been sent, and then take a brief moment to appreciate all the hard work, dedication, and fortune just to be considered for admission... and then login to OAS and accept fate. 

I mean, or you could just play fortnite all day :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Popetopus said:

Although the worst for me last year was sleeping the night before, my routine on decision day seemingly reduced nail-bitting: mute all text, facebook, snap (etc.), and non-work email notifications for the day. Be super efficient at work to keep your mind occupied, come home and check the forums to make sure notifications have been sent, and then take a brief moment to appreciate all the hard work, dedication, and fortune just to be considered for admission... and then login to OAS and accept fate. 

I mean, or you could just play fortnite all day :rolleyes:

Lol, I don't usually have a shift on Fridays, so it's more likely I will be refreshing my email all day at home. Maybe a bit of netflix/podcasting to distract me!

4 minutes ago, pekingduck said:

Do they send out emails as well or do we have to check OAS?

"We plan to send offers of admission starting May 11. Another email with more information about the offers will be sent closer to that time."

That's from the email today, to me that implies an email (something being sent).

31 minutes ago, Popetopus said:

Emails are sent as well. The email should be simultaneous with your OAS status being updated. 

Just a heads up that the decision last year was in the subject title of the email, for those who may be wanting to delay reading it until after!

As in it says if you've been accepted/rejected/waitlisted in the subject?

9 minutes ago, Lesigh2 said:

As in it says if you've been accepted/rejected/waitlisted in the subject?

Correct. Things can always change this year, so don't come after me with a pitchfork if it isn't the same this year lol. But yes, last year the email subject for rejection was "UBC Undergrad Admissions: Regrets After Interview" and for acceptance something like: "UBC Undergrad Admissions: Offer of Admission - VFMP" (or whatever site you are offered acceptance at). 

6 minutes ago, pekingduck said:

Thanks! I may not have access to either OAS or email because the site might be blocked in the country I'm travelling to....

Last year there was a 2-week deadline for the initial round of offers to accept and pay the deposit. Hopefully you may have access to internet during this time, or designate someone you can reliably communicate with to act on your behalf? Email admissions about it, I'm sure they've dealt with this scenario previously! :) 

54 minutes ago, Popetopus said:

Correct. Things can always change this year, so don't come after me with a pitchfork if it isn't the same this year lol. But yes, last year the email subject for rejection was "UBC Undergrad Admissions: Regrets After Interview" and for acceptance something like: "UBC Undergrad Admissions: Offer of Admission - VFMP" (or whatever site you are offered acceptance at). 

Last year there was a 2-week deadline for the initial round of offers to accept and pay the deposit. Hopefully you may have access to internet during this time, or designate someone you can reliably communicate with to act on your behalf? Email admissions about it, I'm sure they've dealt with this scenario previously! :) 

Ahh okay thanks. Usually morning? afternoon? evening?

16 minutes ago, Lesigh2 said:

Ahh okay thanks. Usually morning? afternoon? evening?

It has varied! Last year regrets came out around 2 PM PDT, wait-list around 2:30, and offers near 4. However the previous year, decision day followed the same order with offers out around 11:30 AM. It's really anyone's guess, so plan to fill your entire day with activities to maintain sanity!

Good luck to everyone who is studying for finals! And also congrats to everyone graduating (woot!)!!

Also, not sure about the mental health aspect of this; but I find reading all aspects of this forum help me to stay sane. It's both exciting and scary to know what hopefully lies ahead for a lot of us in medicine (even if we don't get in this year... here's to next!) :)  Netflix is good too. 

Keeping busy = keeping sane :D 

Archived