Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to decisions [doomsday]

MD.VA

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ethicality said:

And from previous years it looks like MD/PHD heard at the same time as the other categories, so maybe we'll get lucky and hear in 2 weeks?

Anything is possible if you just believe~~~

17 minutes ago, Ethicality said:

And from previous years it looks like MD/PHD heard at the same time as the other categories, so maybe we'll get lucky and hear in 2 weeks?

Stop playing with my feelings like this :(

As for your other question, OOP's have always gotten their waitlist ranks immediately as far as I know. Never heard of an OOP interviewing with Med-P's.

9 minutes ago, hartk48 said:

When you finish friends I recommend the office 

I finished the last season just last week but I started on season 3 (the best season IMO). I'll keep the Office in mind after I go back and watch the first 2 seasons. ALTERNATIVELY they just added Gossip Girl to Netflix..... it goes great with ice cream.

8 hours ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

Two more weeks to go! How's everyone holding up?

I do hope that they will surprise us and release it a couple days early like the invites. I know the week of the 26th does not mean Monday morning but I will be disappointed still when that day passes and no news are out haha

17 hours ago, MD.VA said:

Hey, I was going to post that! Trying to distract myself with work. Not successful.

Great minds think alike!

I have a feeling we may find out middle of next week (seems that's the trend with last year's offers and this year's interviews). One week from now would be great but it's going to be a looong week! Trying to keep myself busy as well but so many plans directly or indirectly depend on the admission outcome so it's been tough :( Good luck everyone!

6 minutes ago, guest2017 said:

i catch myself daydreaming of who I would tell first if i were to get accepted, and sometimes it gets so real i end up tearing up LOL

Needless to say, I need decisions to come out asap

LOL this itself almost made me tear up from laughter.

Due to another school's offer, I have to preemptively make my final decision and pretend I have this choice to make, which also feels unavoidably silly

Last year interviews were in mid March and offers were sent out in mid April. They were released 4 days (I think) prior to the target date. That said, they had numerous reasons to release early: the target date was Easter Monday, a statutory holiday, and the Med-P interviews were scheduled during that week as well. So it made sense for offers to be sent out earlier. 

As for MD/PHD offers, I'm not aware of the adcom sending offers separately, but who knows. Best thing, imo, is to keep busy somehow. I find memes and sitcoms are a great distraction!

I tend to try to have a very critical and realistic approach towards my application.
I feel confident about myself, very proud of what I presented and wouldn't change anything in my interview performance.
On the other end, I feel that hoping for the best might create expectations.
Therefore, as hard as it may be, I have convinced myself that I will be rejected.

My current focus is based on that assumption and is targeted to improving myself for next year.
No matter what parameters are measured, this process is somewhat 'random'.
I firmly believe that a rejection is not correlated to an inability to be an excellent physician.
That is as true for the pre-interview selection as it is for post-interview results.

It is a multi-factorial process and only tiny differences separate us all.
A rejection is just based on an impersonal ranking ; it doesn't represent you.
There is no 'injustice' and I won't accept to 'feel sorry for myself'.
Think about it : every year, someone is #1 on the waitlist and doesn't get in.
I know it might not be the most optimistic way of looking at things but...

If you trust your gut, follow what's in your heart and work hard, you'll be happy.
And eventually, you will make it.

This year or next year. 
Best of luck and may you all have positive results :)

I just visited the admissions homepage and I believe this is new:

"Final decisions for the M.D.,C.M. program will be released: The week of March 26, 2018. Exceptionally, M.D.,C.M.  & PhD Candidates, and M.D.,C.M. for IMGs(4-year) candidates will be notified March 19th, 2018."

It seems that there are no plans for early decisions this year. Just posting this here so that you folks don't waste a whole day refreshing Minerva on Monday!

We're nearly there, and going into the last week I want to wish everyone the best of luck :) I agree with @HoopDreams that, in most cases, a rejection says nothing about your potential as a physician. When close to 300 competent individuals are pitted against each other, the difference between the successful and the unsuccessful candidate is indeed marginal, and luck inevitably will play a big role in the outcome. But you will all eventually make it, may it be this year or the next, or the one after that. More importantly, while we should all appreciate how much we want this acceptance as a sign of our conviction for choosing this field, we should also realize that medicine is not the end all be all, even if it might feel this way. Be excited for what the rest of the year holds regardless of what happens on the 26th. Nothing is ever worth putting life on hold for.

Alright boys and girls. I've spent the last two weeks or so on the UofT forum going crazy waiting for interview invite results. Just got my butt handed to me. On the bright side, now I can put ALL of my effort into freaking out about McGill results! Good timing too, with just over a week left until they are released. Please join me in my excitement.

I bring with me memes!

sc5keef00vd01.jpg

Archived