Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to decisions [doomsday]

MD.VA

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FiftyshadesofMD said:

Just talked to them. She said it’s definitely not gonna be today or tomorrow... she said it might very well be on Monday... So hang in there guys... funny enough, I have only applied to the DMD program, and yet have been carried away by your forum here hahahaha

Thanks for letting us know! I guess we'll have to hang tight for the weekend.

Your name is deceitful..... join the fun!

Generally, yes they are there to answer the phone. But not to answer repetitive and unnecessary questions when a target date has been given. Real life setting: get a job interview, given date you’ll hear back to see if you got the job or not, you don’t call ahead of time asking when they’ll release it. Really good way to come off as annoying and impatient. Once a week goes by from the target date, that’s cause for concern and time for a call. Talking as a working professional. 

Now of course you’re anonymous in this case, still comes across the same though. It’ll come out when it comes out, be patient, and if the target date passes and still haven’t heard anything then it’s more appropriate to worry.

6 minutes ago, FiftyshadesofMD said:

Just talked to them. She said it’s definitely not gonna be today or tomorrow... she said it might very well be on Monday... So hang in there guys... funny enough, I have only applied to the DMD program, and yet have been carried away by your forum here hahahaha

Thanks a lot! although it's very difficult to think about waiting another couple of days, at least we know! So now I can continue to compulsively refresh Minerva, but in an unstressful manner :P

8 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Med-P are out today, A lot of people got rejected even with really high r-score. This is most probably due in part of the insane competition this year and the R-score boost.

The average r-score for med-p interviewees went up from 34.99 last year to 37.45 this year.

The R score boost should be rather uniform across the board so I don't think that in and of itself really changes the competition. But then again I know close to nothing about what it's supposed to do, so who knows.

The competition is undeniably much stiffer for the Med-P's this year though, with almost 200 more applicants than last year (this is a record high, by far), and 50 fewer interview invites. I wonder what the scene will look like in 5 years...

Hang in there everyone! These next couple of days may be difficult, but keep doing what you enjoy. Go to the gym, walk, watch a movie, a date with friends, see family! ANYTHING! You have all worked really hard throughout the process regardless of the outcome so treat yourselves. Continue to work hard and play hard! The results does not define you, your attitude towards it does. Good luck! 
Image result for memes in med application

4 minutes ago, Med17 said:

Can someone explain to me how the average is 37.45???? How is it possible? I know that the R score got modified, but still, that's like 2.5 more than last year...

According to what I've seen in other threads, it is not uncommon for people to have a CRC at least 2 points higher. 35 seems a pretty average CRC now....

1 minute ago, Elgar said:

According to what I've seen in other threads, it is not uncommon for people to have a CRC at least 2 points higher. 35 seems a pretty average CRC now....

Yeah. Mine went from 33 to 35 even though only half my semesters were included into the adjusted period.

20 minutes ago, Snowmen said:

Yeah. Mine went from 33 to 35 even though only half my semesters were included into the adjusted period.

23 minutes ago, Elgar said:

26 minutes ago, Med17 said:

Can someone explain to me how the average is 37.45???? How is it possible? I know that the R score got modified, but still, that's like 2.5 more than last year...

I think the boost is one factor, the other is the number of applicants they decided to move forward to the interview phase. Last year there were 273 interviewees, this year 220. This has to do with the medical school enrolment curtailment mettre en vigeur par m. barrette lol I think the silver lining in all this is that at least we reduce the likelihood of unmatched Quebec CMGs... stuck in limbo.. unable to move into residency. This ensures there is a protected buffer between Quebec CMGs and positions - at least provincially speaking.

10 minutes ago, lmck said:

I think the boost is one factor, the other is the number of applicants they decided to move forward to the interview phase. Last year there were 273 interviewees, this year 220. This has to do with the medical school enrolment curtailment mettre en vigeur par m. barrette lol I think the silver lining in all this is that at least we reduce the likelihood of unmatched Quebec CMGs... stuck in limbo.. unable to move into residency. This ensures there is a protected buffer between CMGs and positions - at least provincially speaking.

I don't think the cut in interviewee spots has to do with the reduction of medical school seats in Quebec. Compared to last year, where 71 Med-P's were admitted, this year will still be admitting 71 Med-P's as per McGill's website. On the other hand, while the IP MDCM stream has gone from 83 to 79 seats, they interviewed more people this year than last year. I believe it simply has to do with how many interviews/actors they manage to get hold of, and would interview as many people as they can within the 3-day period if they could afford to.

28 minutes ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

Just got caught up on the numerous posts :) Seems like the consensus is that results will likely come out on Monday. Can I count on people posting here if they magically happen to find out tomorrow? Prefer to find out here instead of logging on to Minerva! 

All the best! ALMOST THERE :D 

oh don't worry, we'll be posting here as soon as the slightest piece of information is released

Archived