Premed 101 Forums

Unmatched confidentiality

44 minutes ago, MD_2021 said:

Is there a reason why program directors see when you've been unmatched? Seems like confidentiality would make the whole system less tense for everyone 

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean when you apply in the 2nd iteration or in the following year? I feel like it would tend to be fairly obvious from your CV. 

It ends up on your dean’s letter. The vast majority of programs do not care about applicants being unmatched before per se unless there was some red flag, in which case it does matter. Most people don’t match because of bad strategies so it’s immaterial basically when applying the following year. 

46 minutes ago, girlsjustwannahavefun92 said:

Kinda wondering the same thing. How much of a red flag is this whole unmatched thing on your app. Some people say not at all . Some people say its crippling. 

a lot of that is it really depends on the program - with CARMS there are no universal answers for anything. I have heard (not my field) that peds for instance does care - because they are particularly red flag adverse (even if there isn't one clearly present) as accepting the wrong person would be very damaging. Other fields like optho almost give advantages to re applicants it seems. 

Institutional knowledge is important with this stuff :) 

On 2018-03-07 at 11:09 PM, rmorelan said:

a lot of that is it really depends on the program - with CARMS there are no universal answers for anything. I have heard (not my field) that peds for instance does care - because they are particularly red flag adverse (even if there isn't one clearly present) as accepting the wrong person would be very damaging. Other fields like optho almost give advantages to re applicants it seems. 

Institutional knowledge is important with this stuff :) 

Why would Ophto do that? Is it because those who go unmatch are more likely to do a MSc and apply as a stronger candidate?

Just now, MD_2021 said:

Why would Ophto give advantages? Is it because those who go unmatch are more likely to do a MSc and apply as a stronger candidate?

there are  post md school research years you can go through for optho - you work like a dog for the year and in turn you get an ally that will push for your acceptance. Not formally a Msc, just a year of research and networking. Not my field of course, but I have heard showing that commitment is well received by them. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2018 at 1:11 AM, rmorelan said:

there are  post md school research years you can go through for optho - you work like a dog for the year and in turn you get an ally that will push for your acceptance. Not formally a Msc, just a year of research and networking. Not my field of course, but I have heard showing that commitment is well received by them. 

Like research fellowships? I've heard of that in the US, but not in Canada.

Archived