Premed 101 Forums

Unmatched General Surgery

Does anyone have an idea of how program look at unmatched applicants for General Surgery applying a second time. I went unmatched this year and am hoping to applying again next year. I was also going to back up to Internal and Family medicine but I was just wondering how programs look at reapplying. I've heard that this year was pretty brutal for Gen sx in particular.

Will delay graduation so I can do additional electives. Planning to do electives across the country rather than exclusively in the home province of Quebec. I also want to undertake some research projects to show commitment to the field. Also will be doing electives in a backup speciality in case things don't go well again. My biggest concern is whether my app will just be tossed in the trash can because I was "unmatched" 

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 10:15 PM, girlsjustwannahavefun92 said:

Will delay graduation so I can do additional electives. Planning to do electives across the country rather than exclusively in the home province of Quebec. I also want to undertake some research projects to show commitment to the field. Also will be doing electives in a backup speciality in case things don't go well again. My biggest concern is whether my app will just be tossed in the trash can because I was "unmatched" 

General surgery won't toss your app in the trash because you were unmatched. You definitely have a shot if you do research and do electives across Canada. It shows commitment. Definitely back up as well with another specialty. Talk to some program directors, residents etc to find out more information. 

Have heard of success stories in several other surgical specialities (e.g. Urology) after 5th year so I would support giving it a shot, especially since you didn't apply widely first time around. Lucky for you a bunch of unmatched surgical people will probably take the one-time spots offered this year so maybe next year's match won't be as bad (gen sx was very competitive this year). Just have a really solid back-up that you enjoy since I doubt more surgical positions will be added anytime soon. Good luck.

Which Quebec school allows you to do additional electives?

Archived