Premed 101 Forums

Full Courseload Help Please

Hi guys,

I just wanted to confirm that do all medical schools in Canada look at the amount of credits in a full academic year and not the amount of courses taken in that year or not how many credits per semester. Reason for this is that I want to drop one of my courses this semester which will still give me 5.0 credits for the whole year but 9 courses in total. If someone has some knowledge regarding this issue, that would be much appreciated.

I know that you're not going to be eligible for U of T's weighing formula, since the requirement for that is having full course load 5.0 credits every single year.

However, I think other Canadian medical schools don't require full course load for every year, and even if they say something about full course load, it's like 2 or 3 years, so not all 4 years.  If you want to make sure, I think you should double check their websites.

Hope this helps!

From what I recall, western requires full 5 full course load for the 2 best years they're taking to calculate wGPA. They also require that 3 of 5 of those credits must from your current year of study or higher (i.e., if 3rd year, 3/5 must be 3rd year and up, same for 4th year)

On 3/8/2018 at 4:03 PM, medhopeful20 said:

Hi guys,

I just wanted to confirm that do all medical schools in Canada look at the amount of credits in a full academic year and not the amount of courses taken in that year or not how many credits per semester. Reason for this is that I want to drop one of my courses this semester which will still give me 5.0 credits for the whole year but 9 courses in total. If someone has some knowledge regarding this issue, that would be much appreciated.

You have to take 5.0 courses from September to April for it to be considered a full schedule by all med schools in Canada (i.e. you can't take 4.0 September-April and 1.0 in the summer. That would not count as a full course load. However, if you take 2.0 courses in the fall semester and 3.0 courses in the winter semester instead of the usual 2.5/2.5 split, that counts as a full course load and is fine). Hope that made sense!

Archived