Premed 101 Forums

Scholarships

I know that they have some scholarships that are automatically granted with an offer, but there is also another chunk of scholarships that you have to apply for they are due around the end of September I believe. If you look at the Dalhousie University Calendar they have a list of scholarships that are available to medical students, and they all pretty much have different criteria (i.e PEI, NB, or NS residents, African Nova-Scotians,  financial need-based, etc)  and they vary in amount. 

1 hour ago, MDhopeful1 said:

I know that they have some scholarships that are automatically granted with an offer, but there is also another chunk of scholarships that you have to apply for they are due around the end of September I believe. If you look at the Dalhousie University Calendar they have a list of scholarships that are available to medical students, and they all pretty much have different criteria (i.e PEI, NB, or NS residents, African Nova-Scotians,  financial need-based, etc)  and they vary in amount. 

Thanks, took some digging to get that calendar but I found it. You wouldn't know how much the automatic ones are? Most of the ones listed in the calendar also don't show any value. 

Also, have the criteria to demonstrate financial need changed from when we were graduating high school? I can't help thinking that none of us will be in dire financial need with a LOC but that all of us will be perceiving ourselves as financially needy with that debt haha

On 3/9/2018 at 11:00 PM, Eudaimonia said:

Thanks, took some digging to get that calendar but I found it. You wouldn't know how much the automatic ones are? Most of the ones listed in the calendar also don't show any value. 

Also, have the criteria to demonstrate financial need changed from when we were graduating high school? I can't help thinking that none of us will be in dire financial need with a LOC but that all of us will be perceiving ourselves as financially needy with that debt haha

Im not too sure how much the automatic ones are. For the criteria based on financial need, I'm guessing they might have us fill out some sort of budget form (like savings, income from the summer, benefits, etc). Again, I'm not sure if Dal will do it that way but that is how it was done for me in undergrad.

• 2 weeks later...

(Med 1 here) in my year there were applications for scholarships, and a questionnaire for general scholarships and bursaries that you are considered for automatically.  This includes budget, debt, expenses etc.  I believe the earliest I heard for mine was like October/ November 

Archived