Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
THX

Working while in fellowship?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I am graduating this year and starting a fellowship in July. I’m going to have some spare time and I would like to work as an independently in my base specialty on locums every now and then. Is that kosher and doable despite my on-going status as a resident/fellow?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, many fellows locum. Just make sure you have the appropriate independent license and full CMPA coverage for your specialty. You may not be able to do it at the same hospital where you work if you don't also have full hospital privileges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lactic Folly said:

Yes, many fellows locum. Just make sure you have the appropriate independent license and full CMPA coverage for your specialty. You may not be able to do it at the same hospital where you work if you don't also have full hospital privileges.

Great thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-10 at 7:39 PM, THX said:

Hey guys,

I am graduating this year and starting a fellowship in July. I’m going to have some spare time and I would like to work as an independently in my base specialty on locums every now and then. Is that kosher and doable despite my on-going status as a resident/fellow?

Thanks

Hey is to not let your program know and do it on Friday night etc. Most GIMs in fellowship make 4-5k a night doing this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aconitase said:

Hey is to not let your program know and do it on Friday night etc. Most GIMs in fellowship make 4-5k a night doing this 

Absolutely false. How many GIM locums have you done? I would love to make 4-5k per night for the various weekends I've done. Perhaps in a very high volume centre this might be the case (still exaggerated), but you'll be up the whole night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, A-Stark said:

Absolutely false. How many GIM locums have you done? I would love to make 4-5k per night for the various weekends I've done. Perhaps in a very high volume centre this might be the case (still exaggerated), but you'll be up the whole night. 

out of curiosity - roughly how many consults would that represent? It sounds rather nuts to me with my limited knowledge of your billing. 

As a rad to get that amount would be a volume of studies that could only be described as insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A-Stark said:

Absolutely false. How many GIM locums have you done? I would love to make 4-5k per night for the various weekends I've done. Perhaps in a very high volume centre this might be the case (still exaggerated), but you'll be up the whole night. 

This is not false. I have not done them myself since I am an R3 but I’ve done community GIM with internists that shoe me how they bill the shift on cab.md so I know excatly what they make. 

 

These are are all busy west GTA (trillium and William Osler). Shifts range from 8-14 hours depending on site. Expect to see 10-12 new consults over 8 hours. Also you run codes and get stipends and reasses admitted patients. I am low balling - it’s often at some sites more than 7. 

 

Its super busy and you don’t sleep and you see a ton of volume but you make a lot. 

 

If if you do t believe me then email the head GIMs at these hospitals and ask them 

 

its similar at St Joes and MacKenzie health and NYGH. Basically any GTA large community site. Just do that math 

 

about 260-300 per admit overnight x 10-12 patients is already almost 3k. Add in the stipend and ward patients you see and it’s easy to get to 4-5k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Alberta, a GIM consult/admission is 200$.

250$ if after 1700

350$ if after 2200

 

It all depends on how many patients you see. It's much easier to make money in community hospitals are patients are simpler but the pay is still the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, W0lfgang said:

That's insane volume. Are you talking just Fridays?

Nope

 

most large volume community hospitals see about 10-12 GIM referrals per 8 hours. Slightly slower ones have longer shifts of 12-13hrs and would see a similar amount over that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 10:00 AM, Aconitase said:

Hey is to not let your program know and do it on Friday night etc. Most GIMs in fellowship make 4-5k a night doing this 

My buddies that moonlight say it's more like 2k per shift. Maybe 4-5k for a weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Ace of Spades said:

My buddies that moonlight say it's more like 2k per shift. Maybe 4-5k for a weekend.

Where are they moonlighting?

 

if you goto a large community hospital such as william Palmer, NYGH, Trillium then it’s much more. You see way more volume. These guys aren’t doing nights for a measly 2k lol. You make that much doing a clinic. They get 500-1k stipend just for showing up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×