Premed 101 Forums

Requesting an Afternoon Off During an Elective?

One of my close friends is getting married this fall and I really want to attend. Unfortunately it's on a Friday of one of my elective weeks. I already completed electives at the schools closest to her wedding and don't want to do any more there. I've combed through electives options and the ones I want to do will all require about an afternoon of travel to attend.

Does anyone have thoughts/experiences about asking for an afternoon off so I could attend the wedding?

I ended up taking a full day off for a friend's wedding while on electives. Wasn't a problem and didn't impact my eval for the rotation (it ended up being a surprisingly strong one, actually). However, this was done during an elective in a specialty I wasn't applying for (a pure learning elective), and was done at my home school, both of which made things easier. I offered to help out with weekend rounding to make up for the lost day too (went in for a few hours only), which I think helped smooth things over.

20 hours ago, qszwdxefc said:

One of my close friends is getting married this fall and I really want to attend. Unfortunately it's on a Friday of one of my elective weeks. I already completed electives at the schools closest to her wedding and don't want to do any more there. I've combed through electives options and the ones I want to do will all require about an afternoon of travel to attend.

Does anyone have thoughts/experiences about asking for an afternoon off so I could attend the wedding?

Which specialty is your elective in and are you interested in it as a specialty or interested in using a letter from that? 

48 minutes ago, Edict said:

Which specialty is your elective in and are you interested in it as a specialty or interested in using a letter from that? 

Just applied so not sure of the specialty yet. Not in a specialty of interest (I want to do family) so most likely not using the letter unless I get along really well with the preceptor or something.

3 minutes ago, qszwdxefc said:

Just applied so not sure of the specialty yet. Not in a specialty of interest (I want to do family) so most likely not using the letter unless I get along really well with the preceptor or something.

I see, in that case you can definitely take the afternoon off without any consequences. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived