Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

I’m looking to start filing my taxes but I’m confused about which province to list my permanent residence in. I’m currently in a five year program and switched my health card and license to the new province for easy proof of address and because I was under a misguided perception that having an out of province health card would mean paying out of pocket and waiting for a reimbursement (as per my short stint living in Quebec). However, I’ve never not been a full time student and have always claimed my parents address as my home residence. 

I will very likely leave my current province once I’m done with my residency and also would possibly go to the states for fellowship (with the intention to return to Canada) and then would have to use my parents address as my home residence since I wouldn’t have any other other address in Canada for that point. 


Reading about it online is very vague in terms of where your health card is, your student status, your long term goals so I’m not sure what to do. I don’t want to do anything wrong but for long term convenience, keeping my current address for tax purposes would make more sense for me but if that isn’t appropriate, then I will change it. Any advice is appreciated. 

How do I manage my taxes?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once any big tax company hear's you are a doctor, they will do your taxes for free until you are done residency (with the hope you will stick with them once you are done).  I have had MNP do my taxes for free for the past 6 years.  They do everything to maximize your return and I am positive any reputable company will know what to do with your provincial residency status.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now