Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE Part 1 New Format - How to Study

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys do a practice test at your school? We had one at McGill and it really seemed like it is still 1/6 obs/gyn, 1/6 surgery etc... Hopefully it is still the case on exam day.

But it seems like they just changed the notation. e.g. an appendicitis, a DKA, and a ruptured ectopic pregnancy would now all be under acute category instead of being under surgery, medicine, and ogs/gyn.

was your practice exam an official one from the MCC or was it prepared by your faculty? because if it was prepared by your faculty, I don't think it's necessarily representative of this year's exam.. maybe they just used practice tests from previous years

1 hour ago, F508 said:

was your practice exam an official one from the MCC or was it prepared by your faculty? because if it was prepared by your faculty, I don't think it's necessarily representative of this year's exam.. maybe they just used practice tests from previous years

It was from the actual MCC people.

But it was shorter. I.e. 4 hrs in total for 100 mcq and a variable number of CDM questions. By that, I mean that we had different totals for the CDM part.

Well if that's the case, back to "studying IM last" :D

Mac has this official practice test coming up. I am not sure myself how the new test has changed, but things that I heard though have not verified or heard for sure:

1) More integrative questions to reflect care of complex patients

2) More social science and psychosocial aspects being addressed in patient care

3) More internal medicine and surgery topics and no longer an equal split between all the disciplines (although based on others' experience with the practice test that may not be the case) 

1 hour ago, Organomegaly said:

Mac has this official practice test coming up. I am not sure myself how the new test has changed, but things that I heard though have not verified or heard for sure:

1) More integrative questions to reflect care of complex patients

2) More social science and psychosocial aspects being addressed in patient care

3) More internal medicine and surgery topics and no longer an equal split between all the disciplines (although based on others' experience with the practice test that may not be the case) 

For number 3, regarding the distribution of disciplines, can you come back with what your impression is after your practice MCC exam?

23 hours ago, Organomegaly said:

This would be a huge deal if true.  One of the reasons it was "easy" when I wrote it is you could basically study ethics/psych/ob/peds, which are like 200 pages in torontonotes, and cover a huge amount of the material.  If medicine became a bigger chunk the test would be waaaaaay more effort to prepare for

1 hour ago, goleafsgochris said:

This would be a huge deal if true.  One of the reasons it was "easy" when I wrote it is you could basically study ethics/psych/ob/peds, which are like 200 pages in torontonotes, and cover a huge amount of the material.  If medicine became a bigger chunk the test would be waaaaaay more effort to prepare for

Can someone confirm this please? Freaked me out reading this! 

1 hour ago, goleafsgochris said:

What do you use to study ethics? Is it fairly trivial and common sense?

2 hours ago, vascular said:

Can someone confirm this please? Freaked me out reading this! 

I have no hard evidence of that statement! It's just been something a few of my classmates have tossed around the grapevine. I agree it would change studying significantly so if anyone finds out for sure it may be helpful to know

20 hours ago, Organomegaly said:

I have no hard evidence of that statement! It's just been something a few of my classmates have tossed around the grapevine. I agree it would change studying significantly so if anyone finds out for sure it may be helpful to know

I guess, another few weeks and we find out! Really hoping it isn't the case

Answer(ish) to our question at 25:45

Not sure what that caveat implies.. if the division was artificial in the past, that means it won't be much different from the question distribution this year? She mentions somewhere else in the video that they will still be using questions from previous years.. so distribution of questions can't be that different?

1 hour ago, Starfish31415 said:

Wrote the practice test yesterday. I thought it had a fair amount of obs gyne/psych/paeds/PHELO... enough for it to be worth it to focus on those anyhow. I know everyone got different practice questions though. What did others think? Still 1/6 for each section, or a lot more IM now? 

At least, in my experience, IM was clearly less than 30% of the exam. Was it the case for you too?