Premed 101 Forums

Hi PM101ers, quick question about booking rad onc electives that I am hoping those of you in residency can answer for me! (or those who matched to rad onc this year, congrats!)

If I am 100% set on rad onc and will not be backing up with another specialty, should I do all of my electives in rad onc around the country? Or would it better for me to "round out" my application with electives in something else like med oncology? 

Thanks in advance for your advice!

19 hours ago, lost__in__space said:

Hi PM101ers, quick question about booking rad onc electives that I am hoping those of you in residency can answer for me! (or those who matched to rad onc this year, congrats!)

If I am 100% set on rad onc and will not be backing up with another specialty, should I do all of my electives in rad onc around the country? Or would it better for me to "round out" my application with electives in something else like med oncology? 

Thanks in advance for your advice!

hmmm I will ask around as well and see - that was actually the only other field I was considering other than radiology back in the day ha.

A good friend of mine who's in clerkship and is a bit of a rad-onc gunner mentioned a couple of times that most preceptors have told him that the programs favor a diverse choice of electives because rad-onc can see cancers related to many systems. For instance, I believe he did electives in rad-onc, urology and heme-onc.

This is mainly for Quebec though and could be different in the rest of Canada.

Yeah I have been asking around as well - people say mostly to do rad onc but do take some electives. Programs are small so on site electives are useful particularly at target programs, and if you do a non rad onc elective at a school don't be afraid to drop by and see their department even informally.

If it were me knowing what I know now (after doing a smaller program): do ALMOST all rad onc.  Like 80% or more.  Spend time knowing the basics before clerkship, including shadowing etc at your home school.  Minimal electives in other stuff wont hurt (but to be honest, although this is often a rumor, I suspect the theory that programs like to see you "be rounded" is total bullshit.  They want you to commit to their specialty.  Hands down.)

I would do as many rad onc electives as you can. It will allow you to visit many programs and allow you to get the flavour of each residency program you will be applying to. Get to know the current residents. Introduce yourself to the program director. Basic CaRMS 101.

There is nothing wrong with doing other electives that you find interesting.

Archived