Premed 101 Forums

Why the MCAT matters so much at US schools

I just wanted to make a comment about the MCAT at US schools. Research has repeatedly shown that MCAT score is one of the highest correlated metrics with USMLE Step 1 scores. And, in turn, Step 1 is not only a gigantic beast, but it also very much determines where people can match to and in what programs/specialties. So, in case it wasn't clear to people why there's such an emphasis on MCAT, this is what I believe the reason why is. 

So, all that to say: work your ass off to get a good MCAT score. It'll go a long way to help you in getting into a US school.

I've heard some conflicting things. Like, some says MCAT does not correlate, some says only CARS correlate (very weakly), some says they correlate well. It doesn't seem to correlate super well with School's matriculant MCAT and average step 1 score (ie. Mayo with 33 MCAT  = 245 step, Hopkins with 36 MCAT = 238 step)

But totally agree working on your MCAT. Probably single most influential factor that you can improve upon. 

performance on one standardize test is relatively correlated with performance on another :)

what is less clear is if any of that correlates will with being a great doctor. That being said a school as OP points out are highly motivated to accept students that do well on the USMLE 1 down the line as it help both the student and the school (when you are paying a ton of money you want to see stats that back up your choice as being logical). 

MCAT is king just like GPA is here. Primary factor. 

3 hours ago, bearded frog said:

It matters more because there are like 1000 undergraduate institutions of varying quality and difficulty, so you emphasize a standardized measure of applicants. In Canada I bet like 80% of applicants come from the universities with medical schools, so there is less need.

Though some Canadian schools, like Western in effect do make the MCAT more important simply because they put such high cut-offs for given sections. Or OOP schools that put CARS cut-offs etc. Whereas that is not a thing at all in the US.   

So it goes both ways! I'd argue that the US still has a much more flexible system than most Canadian schools. You aren't going to get automatically thrown out if you dont meet a specific GPA cut off or MCAT cut off , which happens often in Canadian schools.

Yeah, agree with all the other posters.. I'll just add that the following is also relatively true:

Good MCAT = Good Step 1 = Good Board Scores (you'd think people wouldn't fail these, but they do, and they make residency programs look bad, especially in smaller specialties)

Archived