Premed 101 Forums

Job ideas for a gap year?

I really need to build on my ECs this year and have only had a job as a research assistant through my school. Everywhere I've looked needs a lot of previous experience, and I'm not sure what types of full-time jobs to pursue that I would even have a chance for, let alone would be meaningful at all to my application. I've tried finding something through connections and that hasn't really been working. 

Any ideas about where to start looking for a job or what jobs to try and pursue?

What job do you want? Full-time or part-time and for how long? Have you graduated yet/will you be graduating this year? What was your major (from you user name I'm guessing a BSc)?

Learning/teaching: You can work at Sylvan Learning or get hired by an MCAT company if you scored well on the exam.

Research: Sunnybrook has lots of research tech positions usually. Type research technician or lab technologist into Indeed and see what comes up. 

Administrative jobs: see if you can get a secretarial/admin job in an office somewhere if this appeals to you. Again, try Indeed. 

If you want to network some more, try getting Linked In.

Are you totally opposed to doing a Masters/PhD? This may be an option for you. You can always apply for winter 2019 entry, but you just can't drop and leave if you get in to med next year. 

While not "prestigious", there's always retail and fast food (they actually give you very good experience with customer service/solving problems/ dealing with disagreeable people and multitasking). 

Finally, if you can't get a job, don't want to do grad school, and don't get into med, I HIGHLY recommend looking into allied healthcare programs at colleges or universities while you re-apply. Don't put your entire life on hold for med school admissions. 

On 3/17/2018 at 7:54 PM, phosphoenolpyruvate said:

I really need to build on my ECs this year and have only had a job as a research assistant through my school. Everywhere I've looked needs a lot of previous experience, and I'm not sure what types of full-time jobs to pursue that I would even have a chance for, let alone would be meaningful at all to my application. I've tried finding something through connections and that hasn't really been working. 

Any ideas about where to start looking for a job or what jobs to try and pursue?

jr2 has given you some good advice! If you elaborate more on your education and interests, it would be easier to give you more suggestions. 

Archived