Premed 101 Forums

UWO Interview Structure

Hi,

I know the interview for UWO isn't CDA style anymore but does anyone know roughly the length and amount of questions we will be asked - I want to practice mock interviews as close to the actual thing as possible. Also is there a time limit per question?

Thanks!

As was mentioned in another thread quoted from last year, they thought last year that it roughly did resemble CDA a lot, with what I am assuming is just more traditional questions thrown in (which were already part of the UWO process before anyway) - maybe it's just a question of proportion. So I'm practicing both. 

18 hours ago, lemon_tree said:

Im using dental interview plus for their question bank and competency explanations! It seems legit (reading as we speak :ph34r:)

Thanks for the info! $199 for a PDF file is crazy high I find (given that it's not even printed). Seems like applicants in the past have said it's a good resource. Something I'll have to think about I guess. Thanks again!

I've had a few of you PM me regarding interview advice for Schulich Dentistry. I thought it would be helpful to share my suggestions in this thread.

@frettingThe interview is approximately 30 minutes and the interviewers will ask you roughly 7 questions, however this number can change depending on follow-up questions. There is no time limit per question.  @Predentstudent1 I do not think it makes much sense to quantify how long a response should be. For some questions, you might have lots to say and for others not so much but what's more important is how you present that information. You can talk for 4-5 minutes but if you're repetitive, lack clarity, unable to articulate/present your thoughts concisely, it could affect your evaluation.

Interview Tips:

- The questions are designed so that the interviewers can get to know you more. One big piece of advice is to really reflect and scrutinize your life from every side. What you want to do is get comfortable with your past experiences and have an easily accessible reservoir of experiences to pull from - What are your hobbies? Interests? Who is close to you? Who have you helped? Who has helped you? How do you approach problems? Conflicts? Also think about how you'd answer general questions: "tell me about yourself" or "how do others view you".

- The reason why we are really enforcing the idea of reflecting on your personal experiences is because it's a great way for you to personalize your answer and stand out from other candidates. I'm pretty sure it's a closed file interview so the interviewers know nothing about you and the only way they can assess your character/personality is through your experiences. The interviewers are not trying to find reasons not to like you..they want to get to know you better and find out why you would be a great fit into their program.

- Although the interview has shifted away from the CDA format, I think it is important to know the competencies and highlight qualities a dentist should have through your experiences. Let's say you volunteered for the Heart & Stroke Foundation, there are so many great things you can draw from this one experience such as leadership, teamwork and advocacy.

- For questions that require you to talk about a time when you demonstrated X quality, I would recommend using the STAR format.  I think it's a great way to organize your thoughts and structure your response. For situational questions, I think it's always important to consider multiple perspectives and demonstrate your rational on how you reached a potential solution. 

- Practice with friends and family. If your university offers mock interviews, take advantage of it. Get feedback from others or record yourself and identify areas that you could work on so that on interview day, you're on top of your game!

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can help more or clarify something.

All the best!

30 minutes ago, OVO-XO said:

I've had a few of you PM me regarding interview advice for Schulich Dentistry. I thought it would be helpful to share my suggestions in this thread.

@frettingThe interview is approximately 30 minutes and the interviewers will ask you roughly 7 questions, however this number can change depending on follow-up questions. There is no time limit per question.  @Predentstudent1 I do not think it makes much sense to quantify how long a response should be. For some questions, you might have lots to say and for others not so much but what's more important is how you present that information. You can talk for 4-5 minutes but if you're repetitive, lack clarity, unable to articulate/present your thoughts concisely, it could affect your evaluation.

Interview Tips:

- The questions are designed so that the interviewers can get to know you more. One big piece of advice is to really reflect and scrutinize your life from every side. What you want to do is get comfortable with your past experiences and have an easily accessible reservoir of experiences to pull from - What are your hobbies? Interests? Who is close to you? Who have you helped? Who has helped you? How do you approach problems? Conflicts? Also think about how you'd answer general questions: "tell me about yourself" or "how do others view you".

- The reason why we are really enforcing the idea of reflecting on your personal experiences is because it's a great way for you to personalize your answer and stand out from other candidates. I'm pretty sure it's a closed file interview so the interviewers know nothing about you and the only way they can assess your character/personality is through your experiences. The interviewers are not trying to find reasons not to like you..they want to get to know you better and find out why you would be a great fit into their program.

- Although the interview has shifted away from the CDA format, I think it is important to know the competencies and highlight qualities a dentist should have through your experiences. Let's say you volunteered for the Heart & Stroke Foundation, there are so many great things you can draw from this one experience such as leadership, teamwork and advocacy.

- For questions that require you to talk about a time when you demonstrated X quality, I would recommend using the STAR format.  I think it's a great way to organize your thoughts and structure your response. For situational questions, I think it's always important to consider multiple perspectives and demonstrate your rational on how you reached a potential solution. 

- Practice with friends and family. If your university offers mock interviews, take advantage of it. Get feedback from others or record yourself and identify areas that you could work on so that on interview day, you're on top of your game!

All the best!

Thank you for your help @OVO-XO ! 

1 hour ago, OVO-XO said:

Interview Tips:

All the best!

MVP right here...got accepted to 5+ schools and never attended a single interview #godsplan

On 2018-03-21 at 8:11 PM, lemon_tree said:

Im using dental interview plus for their question bank and competency explanations! It seems legit (reading as we speak :ph34r:)

I am too. I'm finding the package helpful with respect to practicing what OVO-XO described above - working through personal experiences in light of CDA competencies. how to apply the STAR format, and thinking through responses to traditional questions. I want to make the most of the time I have left to prep... good luck everyone!

Archived