Premed 101 Forums

What is everyone doing to keep busy while we wait another 2 months for decisions?

I'm so busy for the next couple of months lol. I have a ton of schoolwork to get done over the next month or so; then have a cross-country road trip (slash honeymoon :wub:) planned for the beginning of May - which I'm sure will keep me distracted enough! I think spending as much time with friends and family (while I still have it) is also my plan. I find spending time with sane-ish people increases my sanity :lol:

I'm a pretty anxious person in general, so on a day-to-day when I'm alone and fretting over interviews/outcomes, I enjoy doing art - mostly drawing - and writing. 

2 hours ago, this_process_is_death said:

I think a lot of us are on the same boat. Personally I'm focusing most of my energy on work. I also try and see friends and family as frequently as I can. I find that reducing the time I spend alone helps me keep my mind off things.

Also, memes. Memes are great.

Same here! So much free time on my hands now that there's only work to focus on and nothing else to get done. Going to try and work on my fitness habits while I'm at it :P

2 minutes ago, Koopatroopa said:

I'm so busy for the next couple of months lol. I have a ton of schoolwork to get done over the next month or so; then have a cross-country road trip (slash honeymoon :wub:) planned for the beginning of May - which I'm sure will keep me distracted enough! I think spending as much time with friends and family (while I still have it) is also my plan. I find spending time with sane-ish people increases my sanity :lol:

I'm a pretty anxious person in general, so on a day-to-day when I'm alone and fretting over interviews/outcomes, I enjoy doing art - mostly drawing - and writing. 

Congrats on getting married (or getting married soon, if it hasn't happened yet)!! Where are you guys thinking of travelling?

Just now, Chestnut said:

Congrats on getting married (or getting married soon, if it hasn't happened yet)!! Where are you guys thinking of travelling?

Thanks - the wedding is soon!! (although... we planned our wedding after the honeymoon...... we might be doing it wrong :P)

We are flying to Toronto to buy a car (which is its own story lol), and are thinking of exploring the Maritimes, Ontario and Quebec. And then we will drive back to BC, visiting family along the way. Should be a really nice trip, as long as everything works out :) 

Doing whatever I can to distract myself. The admission decisions are constantly on the back of my mind. I try to avoid deliberating my interview performance because every time I think about it, the worse I think I did.

Luckily I have a full-time job to divert my attention and a Netflix account, but I’m constantly lurking the forum, lol.

The waiting game is the toughest. The month of May really can’t some soon enough.

I’m glad this thread was made. When I talk about it with family and friends who’ve never been in our position, they don’t really understand the anxiety, stress and emotional turmoil we feel.

Thanks for keeping me sane.

^_^

7 minutes ago, Koopatroopa said:

Thanks - the wedding is soon!! (although... we planned our wedding after the honeymoon...... we might be doing it wrong :P)

We are flying to Toronto to buy a car (which is its own story lol), and are thinking of exploring the Maritimes, Ontario and Quebec. And then we will drive back to BC, visiting family along the way. Should be a really nice trip, as long as everything works out :) 

Congrats on honeymoon and wedding!

Im planning mine for fall of this year!

On 3/20/2018 at 11:10 AM, Koopatroopa said:

Sounds like an amazing plan. It'll be awesome weather too!

On 3/20/2018 at 11:16 AM, Butterfly_ said:

When I talk about it with family and friends who’ve never been in our position, they don’t really understand the anxiety, stress and emotional turmoil we feel.

Exactly my experience. "Just don't think about it for another 2 months!" If it was that easy wouldn't we all have tried that? :lol:

14 hours ago, Chaplin said:

4th sadly. I suck at interviews

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Chin up! This could very well be the year for you :)

Complete agree with Chestnut!! I truly admire your perseverance!
I hope we can be classmates in September :)!
Wishing us all the best!

TBH its so difficult to analyze interview performance. Some stations where I felt I did good could have been average because other people in my track gave better answers, or in other stations where I did poorly others could have done worse. I was in a circuit with only 3 guys and rest of them all girls and one of the guys said to me "You know girls do better at interviews then guys" , I was like just do your best lol. Then there is interview bias, circuit competitiveness, the little things, and so much more............Dahh :mad: 

7 minutes ago, Lothrandir said:

TBH its so difficult to analyze interview performance. Some stations where I felt I did good could have been average because other people in my track gave better answers, or in other stations where I did poorly others could have done worse. I was in a circuit with only 3 guys and rest of them all girls and one of the guys said to me "You know girls do better at interviews then guys" , I was like just do your best lol. Then there is interview bias, circuit competitiveness, the little things, and so much more............Dahh :mad: 

I know eh. Certainly, there are a lot of things that are out of our control for this whole med school application process. 

I think it’s 90% hard work/dedication and 10% luck! 

However, thinking about things that we cannot control will only bring us anxiety.

I’m sure that you did your best. I know it’s so hard to not think about our own interview performance, but thinking about it will most likely make us feel crummy.

There’s nothing we can do about it now except wait.

Go treat yourself! Relax, breathe and smile!

If you wanna chat/vent about anything privately, I’m also all ears :)

Wishing you the best and good news in May!!

22 hours ago, Butterfly_ said:

Not yet! I read on the forum that they send out an email in April to let us know when the May results will be.

In the past it’s been around May 10-15 though.

Historically it seems to be around the end of the week, so maybe May 11?

Not quite sure where to post this, but I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the application process today and I stumbled upon this article (https://www.universityaffairs.ca/features/feature-article/medical-school-admissions-process-skewed/). It was a great read and it made me feel a bit more at ease!

Good luck to us all in the next 6 weeks!

On 3/27/2018 at 3:17 PM, this_process_is_death said:

Not quite sure where to post this, but I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the application process today and I stumbled upon this article (https://www.universityaffairs.ca/features/feature-article/medical-school-admissions-process-skewed/). It was a great read and it made me feel a bit more at ease!

Good luck to us all in the next 6 weeks!

I've seen this article before and really relate to it as I've found this process incredibly frustrating and have noticed more and more how privilege (time, money, connections) help applicants. I worked throughout university to pay for my living expenses and tuition, trying to find valuable experience yes, but ultimately just trying to pay the bills with minimal debt. I limited the number of school I applied to because of costs, and was the first person in my family to attend university (away from home at that) so had no idea what was really necessary to get into med until a few years in. 

The thing is, I have no idea how schools can find a way to measure the intangible "struggle" (for lack of a better word) that some students experience; it's a hard thing to do without discrediting the valid, hard work that has been put in by all students vying for a spot. UBC looks like they're trying to understand this better by asking the question about your parents educational background, but it seems like it will be a while before we can expect a lot of changes. 

Another link if you're interested: http://www.upworthy.com/a-short-comic-gives-the-simplest-most-perfect-explanation-of-privilege-ive-ever-seen 

I think we both went through a similar path (paying for university, 1st college graduate in the family, etc.). I really like the article you attached. I find that there truly is is some sort of correlation between privilege and our chances of getting admitted.

I hope that this is our year. I really cannot redo this process for a 5th year.

54 minutes ago, this_process_is_death said:

I think we both went through a similar path (paying for university, 1st college graduate in the family, etc.). I really like the article you attached. I find that there truly is is some sort of correlation between privilege and our chances of getting admitted.

I hope that this is our year. I really cannot redo this process for a 5th year.

Same here. My parents were immigrants and never had the chance to finish high school. 

I started working on the family farm as a kid and got a job at 15.  Never stopped working since. Was luckily enough to get some bursaries and scholarships for university, but it wasn’t enough. 

Decided to pursue a finance degree and went into investment banking for the money. 

If I had the resources, I would have pursued medicine from the get go.

I don’t regret it and I’ve learned a lot, but it definitely took a lot of my time. I guess everyone’s journey is different. 6 years later, I’m finally pursuing medicine now. It’s been a long, long road. I really hope I get in this year. 

*Fingers Crossed*

Best of luck to you too!

Archived