Premed 101 Forums

What is everyone doing to keep busy while we wait another 2 months for decisions?

This week one of my colleagues at my Second workplace got into a nursing program she had been wait listed for after 9 months, another at my first workplace got into an RN program after 1 year wait, and both quit their jobs, My supervisor got a position at another consulting firm with better money and quit too. Now I'm waiting till next month to hear about my fate (Can I quit too please :D) with a sinking feeling in my stomach. Every rejection has hurt and I can't imagine how I would be able to deal with a very likely scenario of not being able to make 'real' progress in my life like my coworkers. If History of the last 3 cycles is evidence, I wont be getting in this year too haha.

7 hours ago, Butterfly_ said:

Same here. My parents were immigrants and never had the chance to finish high school. 

I started working on the family farm as a kid and got a job at 15.  Never stopped working since. Was luckily enough to get some bursaries and scholarships for university, but it wasn’t enough. 

Decided to pursue a finance degree and went into investment banking for the money. 

If I had the resources, I would have pursued medicine from the get go.

I don’t regret it and I’ve learned a lot, but it definitely took a lot of my time. I guess everyone’s journey is different. 6 years later, I’m finally pursuing medicine now. It’s been a long, long road. I really hope I get in this year. 

*Fingers Crossed*

Best of luck to you too!

It's kind of comforting to know that some applicants here have had similar challenges growing up. I come from a family of immigrants myself and was raised by a single mom. Before I started undergrad, we had two deaths in the family which really screwed me up for a while, and I almost failed several courses in my first year. Thanks to a bunch of amazing role models, I eventually got my act together and haven't looked back since. 

As a first time applicant, it seems like almost a miracle that I got an interview, so I'm incredibly grateful to even have been considered alongside such awesome applicants. That being said, the pain of rejection won't hurt any less. 

I'm going to be finishing up my degree and writing up some papers during this long wait. 

Hopefully there's good news for us soon!

12 hours ago, Lothrandir said:

This week one of my colleagues at my Second workplace got into a nursing program she had been wait listed for after 9 months, another at my first workplace got into an RN program after 1 year wait, and both quit their jobs, My supervisor got a position at another consulting firm with better money and quit too. Now I'm waiting till next month to hear about my fate (Can I quit too please :D) with a sinking feeling in my stomach. Every rejection has hurt and I can't imagine how I would be able to deal with a very likely scenario of not being able to make 'real' progress in my life like my coworkers. If History of the last 3 cycles is evidence, I wont be getting in this year too haha.

Sounds like a good trend happening in your work place! I truly admire your perseverance!! Wish you good news in May!

9 hours ago, brainwanderings said:

It's kind of comforting to know that some applicants here have had similar challenges growing up. I come from a family of immigrants myself and was raised by a single mom. Before I started undergrad, we had two deaths in the family which really screwed me up for a while, and I almost failed several courses in my first year. Thanks to a bunch of amazing role models, I eventually got my act together and haven't looked back since. 

As a first time applicant, it seems like almost a miracle that I got an interview, so I'm incredibly grateful to even have been considered alongside such awesome applicants. That being said, the pain of rejection won't hurt any less. 

I'm going to be finishing up my degree and writing up some papers during this long wait. 

Hopefully there's good news for us soon!

Thank you for your inspiring story and I really hope we can be classmates in September :)!

Archived