Premed 101 Forums

BC applicant curious about chances?

From what I know, Queen's does not differentiate between OOP and IP. Also, they do not release averages for any of the four parameters they assess (GPA, MCAT, OMSAS Sketch, Letters of Reference). 

You could probably get an idea by looking at the interview/regrets post for this year though.

@clever_smart_boy_like_meI am a BC resident and received an interview this year. Queen's doesn't designate IP/OOP at all so you are on the same playing field as everyone else. Checking the offers thread from last year might give you some idea of what stats you'd need (with a large grain of salt). It seems like Queen's really values ECs/ABS experiences that are unique to you.

Oh snap!! dude... if I don't get into UBC this year I might have a decent shot at Queen's for next year if that is their gpa weighting system! I am just finishing a full year of full load (5+ courses per term) and previously took a year of 3 + 3 (which I read they consider "full year"). Those two years combined have me at or above 90% gpa (calculated estimate: 3.96 2YGPA)... Maybe that will be good enough. I haven't checked the "offered" thread yet (really busy with papers, midterms, final prep at the moment).  

Is the info about their "last two year gpa" thing on their website somewhere? I saw that they calculate both the cGPA and the 2YGPA but do they actually pick the better of the two to evaluate your application? If that's true, then I'm in luck :)

Thanks!:D

Med schools usually only count courses that are transferable to or could count towards a degree. So professional program courses, like teacher's college, do not count. But if you were in college and were taking a university transferable course like PSYCH 101 then that grade would be included.

Here's what Queen's says:

"Each year the Admissions Committee establishes the minimum acceptable GPA score for the admissions cycle. At Queen’s we review the cumulative GPA and 2 year most recent GPA. Whichever of the two is highest is the one associated with the applicant’s application. If the applicant meets the minimum score set for the admissions cycle they progress to the MCAT evaluation. If they are below the minimum they do not progress in the process."

https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/undergraduate/prospective-students/applying/method-selection

22 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Does anyone know if they count college courses in their GPA calculations? I can't see any colleges listed in the OMSAS conversion chart....

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-conversion-table/

Ontario schools do NOT consider college level courses in GPA calculations via OMSAS. So if you took courses at a non-university, they arent counted for GPA

Archived