Premed 101 Forums

Chance me (with stats)

I have been lurking this forum and did some reading in the interview invites/rejects and acceptances/waitlists/rejects threads and just wondering if someone with similar stats has received an interview and subsequent offer before :)

2YGPA: ~3.96 (anticipating - semester is yet to finish)
cGPA: ~3.5-3.6
Year: Non-traditional with BSc; have recently been taking unclassified courses

MCAT: ~510-512 (127 CARS); balanced
ECs: Good enough to get me an interview at UBC I guess :P
Volunteer leadership roles in medical-related field; volunteer leadership role in academic position; medical work experience; research-heavy work experience in non-medical field (co-authorship publication); corporate work experience in science field; plenty of small jobs; many various volunteer positions globally (ecology/research based); music & performance (solo, bands, etc.); small business; varsity athletics; continued athletic pursuits in different sport than varsity one

For anyone who may have applied at both or have experience regarding both: Is Queen's scoring for ECs similar to UBC in that the wording really influences the score?

2 hours ago, HotAwkwardNerd said:

Just as a bit of perspective, I applied to both UBC and Queen's this year. According to UBC, they considered my ECs to be below average with a score of around 20/50, however the same extracurriculars got me an interview at Queen's so it's honestly a bit of a toss up! 

I hope you get into Queen's then!! :)
Thank you for the perspective.

I applied to both and got an interview at both so perhaps it's similar? Hard to say. I am sure my 2 year GPA helped me at Queen's as well. The difference between applying through OMSAS and to UBC is that OMSAS gives you slightly fewer characters for activity descriptions, so you have to make every word count on a level you didn't have to for UBC (not that you didn't have to for UBC).

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, HotAwkwardNerd said:

Just as a bit of perspective, I applied to both UBC and Queen's this year. According to UBC, they considered my ECs to be below average with a score of around 20/50, however the same extracurriculars got me an interview at Queen's so it's honestly a bit of a toss up! 

Did you get into Queen's? 

On 3/25/2018 at 2:02 AM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

I have been lurking this forum and did some reading in the interview invites/rejects and acceptances/waitlists/rejects threads and just wondering if someone with similar stats has received an interview and subsequent offer before :)

2YGPA: ~3.96 (anticipating - semester is yet to finish)
cGPA: ~3.5-3.6
Year: Non-traditional with BSc; have recently been taking unclassified courses

MCAT: ~510-512 (127 CARS); balanced
ECs: Good enough to get me an interview at UBC I guess :P
Volunteer leadership roles in medical-related field; volunteer leadership role in academic position; medical work experience; research-heavy work experience in non-medical field (co-authorship publication); corporate work experience in science field; plenty of small jobs; many various volunteer positions globally (ecology/research based); music & performance (solo, bands, etc.); small business; varsity athletics; continued athletic pursuits in different sport than varsity one

For anyone who may have applied at both or have experience regarding both: Is Queen's scoring for ECs similar to UBC in that the wording really influences the score?

Apply, you 've nothing to loose but the application fees. I had a much lower GPA, but a slightly higher MCAT score and I got in. I applied to Queens thinking that I was just wasting money, but I got an interview and an acceptance.  I actually felt that the interview style in Queen's was slightly easier that what I was used to in the Albertan schools :)

8 hours ago, Dr. End Poverty said:

Apply, you 've nothing to loose but the application fees. I had a much lower GPA, but a slightly higher MCAT score and I got in. I applied to Queens thinking that I was just wasting money, but I got an interview and an acceptance.  I actually felt that the interview style in Queen's was slightly easier that what I was used to in the Albertan schools :)

Lol nice change in name ;).

Archived