Premed 101 Forums

Official May 8 Countdown Thread

38 minutes ago, sleeplessinontario said:

Anyone else feeling absolutely terrible???? Like all interviews were traumatizing in their own special way? Just me?

Applied: Queens, Ottawa, McMaster, Toronto, Western, MUN

Interview: Queens, Toronto, Western, MUN

I did come out of one interview more than a bit shaken and the cheers at the completion of our interviews from the med students worsened how I felt 

1 hour ago, sleeplessinontario said:

Anyone else feeling absolutely terrible???? Like all interviews were traumatizing in their own special way? Just me?

Applied: Queens, Ottawa, McMaster, Toronto, Western, MUN

Interview: Queens, Toronto, Western, MUN

Not just you... They all were uniquely painful. 

Interview: uOttawa, McMaster, Western

1 hour ago, pekingduck said:

Yep....I feel like I messed up all my interviews so far...

Also feeling this way :(
It's extra disappointing to know that I got all these chances but possibly blew them all. It's going to be a painful 42 days punctuated by periods of self-loathing. 

1 hour ago, sleeplessinontario said:

Coming from someone who was lucky enough to have quite a few - they don't really seem to get better, no matter how many you have. I think it's just a stress thing - either you walk out feeling bad, or you walk out feeling good and then feel worse as time goes on. As everyone says though, it's hard to judge your own performance.

The next month is definitely going to be hard, but I'm sure most of us have 1000 other things to do - I'm just repressing the memories for a month haha. 

21 minutes ago, markup said:

Not just you... They all were uniquely painful. 

Interview: uOttawa, McMaster, Western

Also feeling this way :(
It's extra disappointing to know that I got all these chances but possibly blew them all. It's going to be a painful 42 days punctuated by periods of self-loathing. 

I feel like I'm in Super Mario and I just ran out of lives

14 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

Coming from someone who was lucky enough to have quite a few - they don't really seem to get better, no matter how many you have. I think it's just a stress thing - either you walk out feeling bad, or you walk out feeling good and then feel worse as time goes on. As everyone says though, it's hard to judge your own performance.

The next month is definitely going to be hard, but I'm sure most of us have 1000 other things to do - I'm just repressing the memories for a month haha. 

When I walked out of each interview I think the mental defenses were already kicking in! It felt like "what just happened to me???" and my memories were already hazy. However, I can't help but replay some slightly cringy moments - unfortunately those memories have stuck around. 

At least I have all of you guys for emotional support over the next couple of weeks. It is comforting in more ways than I can express in words. 

31 minutes ago, pekingduck said:

I screwed up pretty badly during one of my interviews...I kept digging myself holes when answering one of the questions...so I know for sure I have no chances for that one. Im pretty sure the interviewers just gave up on me at the end. 

Hey Pekingduck, 

I understand how you feel as I feel I kinda screwed up bad in a couple stations myself.

However, I usually find those who are harshest critics of themselves performed better than they thought.

I’m in the emotional rollercoaster with you all the way!

Wishing you all the best! :)

Interviews: McMaster, UofA, UBC 

5 hours ago, premed176 said:

Applied: Queens UofT McMaster Ottawa

interviewed: UofT Mac

man every day that passes drags on forever. I don’t think my interviews went that great so I’m so worried. 

I feel the same. The days are getting longer and longer. I’m finding it very difficult to distract myself and not think about the results. 

28 minutes ago, mew said:

Anybody else oscillating between feeling OK/hopeful about their interview performance and feeling like you absolutely bombed everything and are sure to be rejected? I'm switching back and forth about every 2 days or so and it's driving me sort of insane.

This is me lol. Fortunately I have work to distract me during the day so I only ruminate in the evenings. Hopefully you have something distracting you too

47 minutes ago, mew said:

Anybody else oscillating between feeling OK/hopeful about their interview performance and feeling like you absolutely bombed everything and are sure to be rejected? I'm switching back and forth about every 2 days or so and it's driving me sort of insane.

Yep! Definitely feeling the hope/despair yo-yo... 

50 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

For every one good thing I said, I think I can find 7 things I wish I never did/said in my interview XD. 

I can also think of many things I didn't say!!! So many insightful points and more coherent answers left unsaid... 

The hardest part for me so far is when well-intentioned people in my life ask me how my interviews went. I've been defaulting to essentially saying "they happened!" because I know that there's no real way for me to gauge my own performance. Usually the follow-up question becomes: "well how do YOU feel about it, are you happy?", and I feel like I can't really honestly answer: the truth is I feel pretty terrible about the interviews. I have been replaying the not-so-great parts and kicking myself for all the opportunities I missed/wasted, but at the same time I know that we are our own harshest critics, and that it's possible that these didn't go nearly as bad as I'm making them out to have. But the possibility that they WERE as bad as I feel also hangs over my head. Deflecting this question has become: "I'll be happy/unhappy in May!" 

These well-meaning people are generally the ones who have supported me and encouraged me over the years, so even feeling this way feels like I'm letting them down. I'm trying not to sit in this rut of self-loathing (especially for another 41 days) but it's hard not to fall back in.

1 hour ago, markup said:

I can also think of many things I didn't say!!! So many insightful points and more coherent answers left unsaid... 

The hardest part for me so far is when well-intentioned people in my life ask me how my interviews went. I've been defaulting to essentially saying "they happened!" because I know that there's no real way for me to gauge my own performance. Usually the follow-up question becomes: "well how do YOU feel about it, are you happy?", and I feel like I can't really honestly answer: the truth is I feel pretty terrible about the interviews. I have been replaying the not-so-great parts and kicking myself for all the opportunities I missed/wasted, but at the same time I know that we are our own harshest critics, and that it's possible that these didn't go nearly as bad as I'm making them out to have. But the possibility that they WERE as bad as I feel also hangs over my head. Deflecting this question has become: "I'll be happy/unhappy in May!" 

These well-meaning people are generally the ones who have supported me and encouraged me over the years, so even feeling this way feels like I'm letting them down. I'm trying not to sit in this rut of self-loathing (especially for another 41 days) but it's hard not to fall back in.

Totally feel the same. I wish the best for you in May!

Ugh I hate it when people ask me how it went and I tell them that I'm on a hope-despair rollercoaster, and they go "oh come on I'm sure you knocked it out of the park!"

I'm really glad that at least the weather is getting warmer. I'm looking forward to more frolicking. My work contract will be done in 3 months, which means I'm heading into job application mode soon. It's pretty exciting thinking about all the places I can move to next, regardless of medical school.