Premed 101 Forums

Official May 8 Countdown Thread

16 hours ago, Monocyte said:

I go between being productive to having intermittent periods of anxiety regarding the outcome. 

Actually, sometimes both of these happen at the exact same time. 

Ha

ha

ha

... pls help

Same here. I’m going through a period of preparing myself for the worst outcome in May and imagining myself getting an acceptance. The longer the I wait, the crazier I feel. 

26 minutes ago, obiwankenobi said:

I haven't heard of Ottawa contacting referees after the interview. Where did you get this information? 

In my paranoid mind haha sorry if I made you panic. I was just curious since I've seen a few people mention that their references were contacted (not Ottawa in particular, just in general) so it got me thinking about it.

We are in it for the long haul! I'm both glad/apprehensive that there's less than a month to go... 

Honestly I can't wait for May 8th. No matter what the result is at least I'll know my fate for the next year! I've been exploring some interesting volunteering opportunities, but due to the commitment usually required (at least 4-6 months), I'm hesitant to apply until we get results in May. Anyone else in this odd limbo? 

On 2018-04-08 at 2:29 PM, Maggie19 said:

I'm trying to study for the MCAT now but I'm having such a hard time concentrating on it :(

Best of luck and hope you rock your MCAT!

8 hours ago, markup said:

We are in it for the long haul! I'm both glad/apprehensive that there's less than a month to go... 

Honestly I can't wait for May 8th. No matter what the result is at least I'll know my fate for the next year! I've been exploring some interesting volunteering opportunities, but due to the commitment usually required (at least 4-6 months), I'm hesitant to apply until we get results in May. Anyone else in this odd limbo? 

Yes, it's awkward to be try to figure out plans for the future because we don't know if we're doing to move somewhere, how much time you can commit to if you get in or not, etc. Best of luck to you!

2 hours ago, egg said:

I'm in the same boat

Honestly, I would suggest all students to do a fourth year. Fourth year was one of the best years of my life (albeit stressful with thesis and such), but you sort of finally get the hang of things and something about graduating with your class makes you closer to the friends around you. Just my opinion though! I know the idea of fast tracking through life is great, but there are also a lot of perks of finishing up a 4 year degree :)

35 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

Honestly, I would suggest all students to do a fourth year. Fourth year was one of the best years of my life (albeit stressful with thesis and such), but you sort of finally get the hang of things and something about graduating with your class makes you closer to the friends around you. Just my opinion though! I know the idea of fast tracking through life is great, but there are also a lot of perks of finishing up a 4 year degree :)

Completely agree on this, fourth year's been awesome

16 hours ago, 2hopeful said:

Definitely agreed!

4th Year was such a great way to wrap up the Undergraduate experience. Personally, I was finally in those 4th year courses and learning the more "advanced" material I'd been building the foundation for during 1st-3rd year. It was so exciting to feel that much close to the edge of what we know and to really dig into recent research and innovations coming down the pipeline, rather than continuing to learn about well-established principles backed up by decades of research. Also, classes tended to be much smaller (20-40 people rather than the giant 300 person lectures from earlier on) and it was a great opportunity for me to really get to know my profs.