Premed 101 Forums

Official May 8 Countdown Thread

You know what’s another phobia I’m developing? Waking up.

you know when you first wake up in those “idk where I am” first few minutes you reflexively grab the phone off the nightstand and check time and then suddenly remembering “OH MY GOD IS IT MAY 8TH” and cold sweat pounding heart realizing ok not yet and its only 6am and there are no more classes why don’t u go back to sleep you crazy nut

That’s me every morning.

11 hours ago, beepboopbot said:

You know what’s another phobia I’m developing? Waking up.

you know when you first wake up in those “idk where I am” first few minutes you reflexively grab the phone off the nightstand and check time and then suddenly remembering “OH MY GOD IS IT MAY 8TH” and cold sweat pounding heart realizing ok not yet and its only 6am and there are no more classes why don’t u go back to sleep you crazy nut

That’s me every morning.

Oh man wait till you develop a phobia of falling asleep too because some dreaming of results is inevitable!

But remember that even if you wake up frenzied on May 8, results won't be out at 6am or even necessarily right when offices open. Allow your nerves to kick in around 9 to be more reasonable haha

4 minutes ago, chiynadoll said:

Anyone have plans for what theyre doing the night of the 7th? 

I'm seriously considering just drinking my worries away so I can sleep through the night. I'm on pacific time so I'll probably find out first thing in the morning, which would make or break my day :/

I’m on the pacific coast too! PM if you’d like to chat :)! But I’ll most likely be at home and watching Netflix or YouTube. Probably some plum wine to help me sleep lol. 

43 minutes ago, chiynadoll said:

I'm seriously considering just drinking my worries away so I can sleep through the night. I'm on pacific time so I'll probably find out first thing in the morning, which would make or break my day :/

38 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

I’m on the pacific coast too! PM if you’d like to chat :)! But I’ll most likely be at home and watching Netflix or YouTube. Probably some plum wine to help me sleep lol. 

Also on the West coast :) 

I'm happy to chat anytime, even in the wee hours of D-day morning! 

16 hours ago, chiynadoll said:

I’m going to drink. Very low percentage alcohol but I’m going to drink to help me sleep thru the night

2 minutes ago, MD.VA said:

High proof alcohol will do the job better ;)

I’m Asian, at high percentage, I’ll get alcohol flush and allergic reactions.

oh but maybe that’s better cuz then I won’t wake up for May 8th or i would be in some hospital and might not be able to check email hahahahahahahahahahahaha you genius my friend

2 hours ago, beepboopbot said:

oh but maybe that’s better cuz then I won’t wake up for May 8th or i would be in some hospital and might not be able to check email hahahahahahahahahahahaha you genius my friend

I get the Asian Glow too.

2 hours ago, beepboopbot said:

4 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

I get the Asian Glow too.

Pepcid my friends. I dont know how it works (really should look into it) but its the only way I can make it past 2 drinks without turning beet red, calling it a night due to major migraines, and being totally mentally sober, but cant function otherwise. 

If anyone wants to meet up for drinks, and venting about the stress going into Tuesday morning, hit me up :D

26 minutes ago, chiynadoll said:

Pepcid my friends. I dont know how it works (really should look into it) but its the only way I can make it past 2 drinks without turning beet red, calling it a night due to major migraines, and being totally mentally sober, but cant function otherwise. 

If anyone wants to meet up for drinks, and venting about the stress going into Tuesday morning, hit me up :D

So down. I find it hard to talk about this topic with my family and friends as they’ve never been through this process and don’t truly understand the anxiety and stress of the  med apps. 

I’ll wear my Asian glow with pride lol.

49 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

So down. I find it hard to talk about this topic with my family and friends as they’ve never been through this process and don’t truly understand the anxiety and stress of the  med apps. 

I’ll wear my Asian glow with pride lol.

Same here, we have no doctors in my family and were first-generation immigrants. So I get a lot of "Habibi why do you stress, relax, just don't think about it!". It's almost impossible for me to convey why the wait/uncertainty is the most nerve-wracking part of the process

4 minutes ago, Nibbler said:

Same here, we have no doctors in my family and were first-generation immigrants. So I get a lot of "Habibi why do you stress, relax, just don't think about it!". It's almost impossible for me to convey why the wait/uncertainty is the most nerve-wracking part of the process

To the very few people who know I'm going through this process, they've asked "when do you find out"? I told them late May to get them off my case lol.

1 minute ago, Monocyte said:

To the very few people who know I'm going through this process, they've asked "when do you find out"? I told them late May to get them off my case lol.

I attended a bunch of social events last week to distract myself and that was the first small talk question everyone asked me. I was like, shit this distraction plan is really backfiring

37 minutes ago, Persephone said:

I attended a bunch of social events last week to distract myself and that was the first small talk question everyone asked me. I was like, shit this distraction plan is really backfiring

Literally me any time I see anyone - friends, colleagues, family..... 

I just dont want to think about it :(

5 hours ago, MD.VA said:

Literally me any time I see anyone - friends, colleagues, family..... 

I just dont want to think about it :(

I’m non-trad, so when I see my friends after a long while they’ll ask “what have you been up to”, I’ll reply with same old, and they’ll be so insistent “no but seriously what are you doing”.

Like... JUST LET ME LIVE MY LIFE K

Surprisingly, I've been pretty good about not thinking about it for the last month. I've kinda just assumed that I'm not getting in LOL. Had a bout of anxiety a week ago thinking about which province I'd like to move to (taking into consideration options for in-province status, and trying to decide how much that should factor into my decision vs. lifestyle factors).

My work contract up north will be done in 8 weeks so I've been in job-hunting mode. Also, I'm just starting to get back into a good groove with my physical fitness and eating after the interview...they can reject me but they can't take away my abs hahaha.

I'll be attending a wedding 4 days after D-day, where I'll see a lot of my dietitian friends who know about my med school goals. If I start crying, at least I can say it's because I'm happy for the couple.

I think on May 7 I'll likely spend it like any other work day- go to work, work out, have dinner, maybe journal and meditate to calm my anxiety, submit some job applications (I think it'll be a good way to remind myself of how much I've accomplished and that life goes on, there are other opportunities and new experiences waiting), and call it a night with no expectations that life will be different on May 8. My work calendar is empty on May 8, so if I feel like absolute shit I can take a sick day.

My best friends have agreed that they won't message me on May 8, to avoid giving me heart attacks from phone notifications.

8 hours ago, Nibbler said:

"ramadan is coming soon, you are blessed to get in don't worry"

25 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

I hope how the Raptors are doing is not indicative of the news I receive on May 8th.... :'(

Don’t worry hun. I definitely cannot imagine how there can be any correlation between the Raptors and your med school admission results.

You’re almost there! Just 4 days. Hang in there and breathe! Go work out, relax in the pool, hike a trail, party, watch a movie, binge on Netflix, and have fun!