Premed 101 Forums
aquanaut

Official May 8 Countdown Thread

8 hours ago, Nibbler said:

Same here, we have no doctors in my family and were first-generation immigrants. So I get a lot of "Habibi why do you stress, relax, just don't think about it!". It's almost impossible for me to convey why the wait/uncertainty is the most nerve-wracking part of the process

"ramadan is coming soon, you are blessed to get in don't worry"

25 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

I hope how the Raptors are doing is not indicative of the news I receive on May 8th.... :'(

Don’t worry hun. I definitely cannot imagine how there can be any correlation between the Raptors and your med school admission results.

You’re almost there! Just 4 days. Hang in there and breathe! Go work out, relax in the pool, hike a trail, party, watch a movie, binge on Netflix, and have fun! 

31 minutes ago, obiwankenobi said:

It's funny to think that our fates have probably already been decided...

ah this just gave me a mad new burst of anxiety lol ... it should probably make me more at peace, let go and such, but instead it's like, why can't we know now!?

33 minutes ago, obiwankenobi said:

It's funny to think that our fates have probably already been decided...

Yeah the category that you got placed in by adcom (some of who knew long ago). But the fate of those on the WL has not been determined yet!

I don’t mean to put anybody down or discourage you from pursuing your dreams but is anyone else already expecting a rejection? I know it’s a pessimistic perspective but I’m personally not anxious because I’ve already accepted a very likely rejection. If it happens I’m not even going to be disappointed but if I get accepted then I’m just going to be very surprised and happy. Either way I feel like the “negative” perspective has been helping me accept whatever comes tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, plastics91 said:

My dad thought "the day" was today and he had nightmares. He dreamt there were groups of people who were kidnapping me and beating me up and he was fighting to get me back to safety.

I feel his anxiety and his love all at the same time :')

I dreamt that I got rejected..... from U of T.... where I didnt even interview - no surprises there LOL

40 minutes ago, FatherFranklin said:

I don’t mean to put anybody down or discourage you from pursuing your dreams but is anyone else already expecting a rejection? I know it’s a pessimistic perspective but I’m personally not anxious because I’ve already accepted a very likely rejection. If it happens I’m not even going to be disappointed but if I get accepted then I’m just going to be very surprised and happy. Either way I feel like the “negative” perspective has been helping me accept whatever comes tomorrow. 

I feel like I've been discouraging myself/trying not to be hopeful to protect my own feelings. It's less of a blow to set lower expectations - if my expectations fall short at least they didn't have to fall far!! I know if I get rejected it'll hurt either way, but I'm trying to convince myself it'll be less painful this way x) 

Pretty sure this isn't exactly a healthy coping method, but you do what you have to do to make it through these last few days.