Premed 101 Forums

2018 Waitlist Discussions

cardiomed

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SpeedyPotato said:

Omg... I promised myself I wouldn't look at it until may... I thought there would be nothing until then!! Was it like that in other years?

On 5/1/2017 at 10:02 PM, mvanderweij said:

I kept track of the waitlists last year until they closed:

IP       OOP    Inter    NTP    QR:IMG    Med-P
30-Mar    1           2          1           1    
6-Apr       1           3          1          1    
7-Apr       2           3          1          1    
14-Apr     3           3          1          1    
19-Apr     4           3          1          1    
20-Apr     4           3          2          1    
16-May    6           4          2          1           1           3
18-May    6           5          2          1           1           3
24-May    6           5          2          1           1           4
26-May    6           5          2          1           1           6
27-May    6           6          2          1           1         16
30-May    6           7          2          1           1         16
9-Jun       6           8          2          1           1         17
13-Jun     6           9          2          1           1         19
14-Jun     6         10          2          1           1         19
16-Jun     7         10          2          1           1         19
20-Jun     7         12          2          1           1         19
21-Jun     7         13          2          1           1         19
30-Jun     7         14          2          1           1         19
4-Jul        8         14          2          1           1         19
5-Jul      12         14          2          1           1         19
7-Jul      13         14          2          1           1         19
12-Jul    14         14          2      closed       1         19
14-Jul    14         14          2                       1         20
4-Aug    15         14      closed                   1         20

Found this table that tracked the IP movement waitlist in 2016. This year is actually doing a little better, which is nice considering there are fewer spots. #5 in mid-April is a good sign, and I think it's safe to assume there will be more movement when Ontario schools and French schools release results, and when deferral requests get processed :) Hang in there!

2 hours ago, MedP111 said:

Found this table that tracked the IP movement waitlist in 2016. This year is actually doing a little better, which is nice considering there are fewer spots. #5 in mid-April is a good sign, and I think it's safe to assume there will be more movement when Ontario schools and French schools release results, and when deferral requests get processed :) Hang in there!

Thx :) It's at least encouraging!! 

3 hours ago, MedP111 said:
On 5/1/2017 at 10:02 PM, mvanderweij said:

I kept track of the waitlists last year until they closed:

IP       OOP    Inter    NTP    QR:IMG    Med-P
30-Mar    1           2          1           1    
6-Apr       1           3          1          1    
7-Apr       2           3          1          1    
14-Apr     3           3          1          1    
19-Apr     4           3          1          1    
20-Apr     4           3          2          1    
16-May    6           4          2          1           1           3
18-May    6           5          2          1           1           3
24-May    6           5          2          1           1           4
26-May    6           5          2          1           1           6
27-May    6           6          2          1           1         16
30-May    6           7          2          1           1         16
9-Jun       6           8          2          1           1         17
13-Jun     6           9          2          1           1         19
14-Jun     6         10          2          1           1         19
16-Jun     7         10          2          1           1         19
20-Jun     7         12          2          1           1         19
21-Jun     7         13          2          1           1         19
30-Jun     7         14          2          1           1         19
4-Jul        8         14          2          1           1         19
5-Jul      12         14          2          1           1         19
7-Jul      13         14          2          1           1         19
12-Jul    14         14          2      closed       1         19
14-Jul    14         14          2                       1         20
4-Aug    15         14      closed                   1         20

Does anyone have thoughts on the current OOP waitlist. I knew that there wasn't going to be any major movement until mid-May but I thought that based on 2016 trend, there would be something happening in April. But it is still stagnant at #1. For those who know of last year's (2017) trends, is the lack of movement in April common? How many places did OOP waitlist move till last year overall if anyone remembers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 1:07 AM, Medreams said:

Does anyone have thoughts on the current OOP waitlist. I knew that there wasn't going to be any major movement until mid-May but I thought that based on 2016 trend, there would be something happening in April. But it is still stagnant at #1. For those who know of last year's (2017) trends, is the lack of movement in April common? How many places did OOP waitlist move till last year overall if anyone remembers.

Last year is a bit of an anomaly because admission decisions last year were released end of April (as opposed to end of march this year). For what it is worth, I think it was around #7 for OOP waitlist in early May 2017. I would have expected it to move one or two spots by this time; a bit strange it is still sitting at #1. You will probably see more movements once the Ontario schools release their decisions on May 8.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:33 AM, Soon2BeMD said:

Considering the French schools/other Canadian schools haven't released their answers yet, this is a decent sign no? 

I think it might be, I just don't want to get my hopes too high up. There are still deferrals, Ontario and Quebec schools so I'm hopeful it goes deeper than last year.

I do not want to scare anyone and I hope OOP moves.

However, as many of you may know, Toronto did not have the best matching year this year. McGill I think on paper did slightly better and this may sway how the OOP moves. However, this might be completely false. But I want to share a realistic view of things. But there will def be movement in the next 2 weeks. I strongly believe if you are in the top 5 of the waitlist, you will get in 2 weeks 

Also dont forget, finances is always important, and Toronto is getting more and more expensive. McGill for being "2nd" and maybe "first" med school in Canada, saving a lot in Tuition and living costs can win over a lot of people 

2 minutes ago, eventuallyAF said:

To provide a glint of shimmery hope to the IP waitlist people - I just applied for a deferral today. If all goes well it's definitely going to move at least 1 more because of me ;) Hang in there friends x

God bless u fam 

52 minutes ago, eventuallyAF said:

To provide a glint of shimmery hope to the IP waitlist people - I just applied for a deferral today. If all goes well it's definitely going to move at least 1 more because of me ;) Hang in there friends x

Would you mind sharing your circumstances and, when they get back to you, whether or not it was approved (and if not, what was their reasoning)?

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Organeer said:

Would you mind sharing your circumstances and, when they get back to you, whether or not it was approved (and if not, what was their reasoning)?

Cheers

I'll surely let you all know if it is accepted or not so you know what to expect with regards to movement.

Circumstances: Year 2 MSc student. When I had applied to McGill med my project timeline was pretty solid and was expected to be complete by Fall 2018. It's an international study that requires data collection from multiple geographic locations. Unforeseen delays beyond my control at some of these locations pushed my timeline back. New anticipated end date is early Spring 2019. Essentially, reason for deferral---> completion of graduate studies. Hoping it works out for me as well as another student on the waitlist. Win-win!

On 5/9/2018 at 3:13 PM, Vendar said:

I do not want to scare anyone and I hope OOP moves.

However, as many of you may know, Toronto did not have the best matching year this year. McGill I think on paper did slightly better and this may sway how the OOP moves. However, this might be completely false. But I want to share a realistic view of things. But there will def be movement in the next 2 weeks. I strongly believe if you are in the top 5 of the waitlist, you will get in 2 weeks 

Also dont forget, finances is always important, and Toronto is getting more and more expensive. McGill for being "2nd" and maybe "first" med school in Canada, saving a lot in Tuition and living costs can win over a lot of people 

Lol dude McGill did terribly

22 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

Lol dude McGill did terribly

Just to add onto this with regards to matching, either school gives you every opportunity to match in whatever program you want. With going to all the post-match talks of the students this year (at McGill), I believe that reasons for not matching are due to not preparing yourself adequately for a specific speciality that you would like compounded with poor management of your application list.

Wether you go to UoT or McGill  and don't match, the outcome would have likely been the same had you chosen the other school. It is individual factors rather than school factors that decide matching results, and people who are not in medical school yet tend to weigh "prestige" of school more heavily than they should.

Thats just my 0.02$ 

Archived