Premed 101 Forums

2018 Waitlist Discussions

cardiomed

Hey everyone,
As promised I'm confirming that my deferral request was accepted- was notified today. The movement on the list today reflects that.
I doubt I am the only one that has applied for a deferral or intends to so I rest assured movement will continued. Best of luck to everyone!
And for those that don't get off the list, please apply again! Your position on the list reflects that you have what it takes to get into McGill med, or for any med program for that matter so stay persistent, you're going to get there.

My username: EventuallyAF just turned into Fall2019AF :wub: It's a good feeling. Keep at it guys. Peace.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SpeedyPotato said:

Now 12 :)

2 minutes ago, eventuallyAF said:

Hey everyone,
As promised I'm confirming that my deferral request was accepted- was notified today. The movement on the list today reflects that.
I doubt I am the only one that has applied for a deferral or intends to so I rest assured movement will continued. Best of luck to everyone!
And for those that don't get off the list, please apply again! Your position on the list reflects that you have what it takes to get into McGill med, or for any med program for that matter so stay persistent, you're going to get there.

My username: EventuallyAF just turned into Fall2019AF :wub: It's a good feeling. Keep at it guys. Peace.

Nice! Ca bouge pas mal eh :P La LA pour OOP bouge aussi.. #3... ce processus est pire que mourir blah

1 hour ago, SpeedyPotato said:

Est ce que tu es loin pour la liste OOP? J'te souhaite que ça continue d'avancer!

Merci!! :)  mais je pense que je devrait accepter l'offre d'Ottawa avant le 22 mai.. est-ce que quelqu'un sait que l'on peut continuer a tenir sa place sur la LA a McGill si on accepte ailleurs? 

53 minutes ago, cacaonibs said:

Merci!! :)  mais je pense que je devrait accepter l'offre d'Ottawa avant le 22 mai.. est-ce que quelqu'un sait que l'on peut continuer a tenir sa place sur la LA a McGill si on accepte ailleurs? 

Oui tu peux garder ta place, tout comme ceux qui ont payé leur dépôt à McGill et qui se désistent après avoir été admis ailleurs

Does anyone know what is causing the waitlist movement? Shouldn't it have stopped moving after the Quebec school released their acceptance? I thought the next movements we will see is the deadline to accept Ontario school offers. I don't know what is going on with the wait-list this year I am trying to project when it will stop- I think I am just overthinking it all. Waiting for IP to keep moving at this rate haha 

47 minutes ago, jtown said:

Does anyone know what is causing the waitlist movement? Shouldn't it have stopped moving after the Quebec school released their acceptance? I thought the next movements we will see is the deadline to accept Ontario school offers. I don't know what is going on with the wait-list this year I am trying to project when it will stop- I think I am just overthinking it all. Waiting for IP to keep moving at this rate haha 

I don't know why it is moving so much this year, it's hard to tell, maybe last year's CARMS performance? Anyways, yesterday was the last day (I think) to pay the deposit for Ontario schools and it will be the case on 26th for the french schools. This doesn't prevent anyone from keeping their spot at McGill until they've made a definite choice, which is why we'll probably see some more movement until June 15th, which is when the deposits stop being refundable at McGill. After that, there's always the chance for a deferral or two, so yeah, I think this is a good year for us on the IP, but we never know when it's going to slow down.. 

1 minute ago, SpeedyPotato said:

I don't know why it is moving so much this year, it's hard to tell, maybe last year's CARMS performance? Anyways, yesterday was the last day (I think) to pay the deposit for Ontario schools and it will be the case on 26th for the french schools. This doesn't prevent anyone from keeping their spot at McGill until they've made a definite choice, which is why we'll probably see some more movement until June 15th, which is when the deposits stop being refundable at McGill. After that, there's always the chance for a deferral or two, so yeah, I think this is a good year for us on the IP, but we never know when it's going to slow down.. 

Yea, and this year it is not just medicine. Even dentistry waitlist for IP is moving at a fast rate. It is 19 on the wait-list for IP. There must be something that is causing this crazy shift in people not accepting mcgill as a school. I just hope they keep it up hahaha. So aside from the 26 from french schools. Is there anything else that would play a major role in people rejecting their offers? Also, I heard two years ago the waitlist moved to 26- I was hoping someone has some stats on that and or can compare it to the movement this year.

1 minute ago, jtown said:

Yea, and this year it is not just medicine. Even dentistry waitlist for IP is moving at a fast rate. It is 19 on the wait-list for IP. There must be something that is causing this crazy shift in people not accepting mcgill as a school. I just hope they keep it up hahaha. So aside from the 26 from french schools. Is there anything else that would play a major role in people rejecting their offers? Also, I heard two years ago the waitlist moved to 26- I was hoping someone has some stats on that and or can compare it to the movement this year.

It think it moved to 23 two years ago and 26 the year before but I'm not sure. The stats are somewhere on the forum yes, maybe take a peek at last year's thread? The french factor is scaring some people off too I think.. I just think we can't really read anything into it though, it might go to 30 this year and stop at 12 next year, it really depends on many unpredictable factors.

4 minutes ago, SpeedyPotato said:

It think it moved to 23 two years ago and 26 the year before but I'm not sure. The stats are somewhere on the forum yes, maybe take a peek at last year's thread? The french factor is scaring some people off too I think.. I just think we can't really read anything into it though, it might go to 30 this year and stop at 12 next year, it really depends on many unpredictable factors.

So, you have seen the movement the last couple years. How do you think it is going compared to last year? What do you mean the french factor? Ohh, I really hope it goes to 30 this year!

On 4/14/2017 at 1:29 PM, SMT said:

Hey everyone,

I'm sure a lot of you are trying to make rough estimates as to their chances of getting in from the waitlist. And I'm pretty sure some of you are trying to find numbers as to how many candidates get invited from the waitlist in the last couple of years.

So here's some numbers I got from previous threads, if you're interested (and I'm sure you are):

2015/2016: 15th (checked it myself last year and took note of it)
2014/2015: 23th (source, which seems credible: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/89726-waitlist-movement-ip/?hl=waitlist)

2013/14 - 26
2012/13 - 9
2011/12 - 17
2010/11 - 17
2009/10 - 15 (source for those last five. I have my doubts about them, so any confirmation from older candidates would be welcome: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/84597-mcgill-liste-dattente-waiting-list/page-4?hl=waitlist)

Of course, they just tend to indicate a trend. It's impossible to predict what's in store for this year and yadi yada. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedyPotato said:
On 4/14/2017 at 1:29 PM, SMT said:

Hey everyone,

I'm sure a lot of you are trying to make rough estimates as to their chances of getting in from the waitlist. And I'm pretty sure some of you are trying to find numbers as to how many candidates get invited from the waitlist in the last couple of years.

So here's some numbers I got from previous threads, if you're interested (and I'm sure you are):

2015/2016: 15th (checked it myself last year and took note of it)
2014/2015: 23th (source, which seems credible: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/89726-waitlist-movement-ip/?hl=waitlist)

2013/14 - 26
2012/13 - 9
2011/12 - 17
2010/11 - 17
2009/10 - 15 (source for those last five. I have my doubts about them, so any confirmation from older candidates would be welcome: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/84597-mcgill-liste-dattente-waiting-list/page-4?hl=waitlist)

Of course, they just tend to indicate a trend. It's impossible to predict what's in store for this year and yadi yada. 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, jeff said:

Does the number of people admitted the IP category increase to match the 83 from last year or is it just lower this year?

It is lower this year because of the reduction in the number of seats. Based on provincial physician HR planning, Quebec's 4 faculties will reduce its UG enrolment by 17 positions each of the next three years (total 51 entry positions), with linked PG reductions occurring in 3-4 years’ time. 

15 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

It is lower this year because of the reduction in the number of seats. Based on provincial physician HR planning, Quebec's 4 faculties will reduce its UG enrolment by 17 positions each of the next three years (total 51 entry positions), with linked PG reductions occurring in 3-4 years’ time. 

doesn't seem like it adds up to the 165  spots that they claim to be offering this year for IP,  even with the 4 deferrals from last year.

8 minutes ago, jeff said:

doesn't seem like it adds up to the 165  spots that they claim to be offering this year for IP,  even with the 4 deferrals from last year.

IP University: 80

OOP: 10

Med-P (from previous year): 71

NTP (from previous year): 2

INTL: 2

This adds up to 165 spots? I don't think in-province matriculants themselves would necessarily total 165. Not sure how deferrals are accounted for in the statistics that are posted.

Archived