Premed 101 Forums

Is it bad to have a weak answer to why medicine?

anon5678

Hopefully, the rest of your interview went well, but yes it's not ideal to have a weak answer to this question. In future, this is a question that should show that you have thought a lot about why you want to do medicine and that there is a logical thought process behind it and maybe some sort of event that initially triggered your interest, and then that was further backed up by your education and extra curricular experiences. If the rest of your interview went well though, I think its unlikely that one question will significantly change the outcome of your interview. Good luck! 

18 hours ago, anon5678 said:

I had the question come up near the end of my panel when the assessors closed their question/grading books. I gave a kind of self-centered reason to this question. I talked about how I wanted to continue along / move up in the career trajectory I'm currently involved in since I graduated from  a B Sc. in biology and have worked in jobs related to healthcare, research, biomedical technology. It was probably a poor answer and the delivery also sucked. Is it really bad to have a weak answer to this question? I otherwise feel alright about the rest of the panel.

Yeah, definitely work on that answer, it is a question you will be asked over and over again and truthfully, it was difficult to come up with an answer before med myself, but when you do med, you get a better answer. 

For admissions though, it is important to have a good answer so think of a better reason if it doesn't work out this time around. 

Not gonna lie, when you have students who are going in bringing in personal stories of how medicine impacted their lives, how their absolute passion is in the healthcare field, or how their lives revolve around this... just saying you want to continue down a "career track" does pale in comparison (if *knock on wood* you don't get in this year, just prep for it for next time. This is a very prepare-able answer). 

However, I'm sure they have other things they look at. You certainly can't be the only person who wants to go into medicine because it just seems like the best career option for you (instead of say... absolute passion). 

It’s really hard to justify that medicine is the career track for you until you truly experience work as a doctor. 

Personally, I thought investment banking was the right career for me, spent my undergrad gunning for it and 3 years into the job, found out it just wasn’t for me.

There has to be some sort of passion for Medicine, whether to save lives, heal people, make the world better, etc. Medicine isn’t just another job. It takes a lot of sacrifice as well, much more than other jobs.

With that said, I doubt a weak answer to that question will tank your interview.

Best of luck and I hope medicine is truly the right path for you.

Archived