Premed 101 Forums

basic question on emailing multiple PIs

sangria

This is such a basic question, but throughout my time in grad school and various lab groups, I had never experienced this myself. I always got projects from people I already met.

I'm currently a M2. Sent out a cold email to two PIs who collaborated on a previous project, and asked whether they have something similar because my past publications/experience would be quite applicable. They got back to me separately. One wants to meet and the other wants to forward my CV to people he knows. At this point, I have a meeting scheduled with the first one, but I don't know what the opportunities are yet. Should I hold off on replying the second one (to say it's ok to forward my CV)? They could very well know one another. 

Unless your meeting is to happen very shortly, I wouldn't hold off for too long on acknowledging the offer of help from the second PI. Usually students aren't thought to be busy enough to not have time to reply with a quick 'thank you' for days on end... too much silence can be off-putting.

It sounds like the second PI may not have anything for you and is planning to forward your CV without a specific position in mind (just casting a net)? As you have not been offered anything at this point, I don't see anything wrong with expressing your gratitude for the reply, and mentioning that you do have one meeting set up at present, but you wouldn't mind learning of other labs whose work you should be aware of, since you have a sincere interest in pursuing research in this area in the future. Just my thoughts.

31 minutes ago, Lactic Folly said:

Unless your meeting is to happen very shortly, I wouldn't hold off for too long on acknowledging the offer of help from the second PI. Usually students aren't thought to be busy enough to not have time to reply with a quick 'thank you' for days on end... too much silence can be off-putting.

It sounds like the second PI may not have anything for you and is planning to forward your CV without a specific position in mind (just casting a net)? As you have not been offered anything at this point, I don't see anything wrong with expressing your gratitude for the reply, and mentioning that you do have one meeting set up at present, but you wouldn't mind learning of other labs whose work you should be aware of, since you have a sincere interest in pursuing research in this area in the future. Just my thoughts.

No, the second PI doesn't have anything but was nice enough to offer to send my CV out to people he knows. My concern was for it to travel back to the first PI and have him interpret it as a lack of interest. (This question was more of an etiquette question, but fwiw, I'm more interested in the first PI's work anyway). I'll email the second PI like you said. Thanks for the advice!

If you're concerned about it travelling back to the first PI, you could graciously decline the offer to send out your CV saying you have another meeting already (if you think your chances of getting a project with the first PI are high). Or, I suppose you could ask for the names of the other labs so you can approach them yourself if things don't work out with the first PI...

Just be upfront with the first PI and casually mention you've put out some inquiries with multiple PIs. Just emphasize you are trying to find the best fit possible. Quality candidates generally shop around before they commit to anyone, PIs are generally understanding of this. You shouldn't be maligned for taking multiple meetings unless the prof thinks you're trying to hide it from them and go behind their back.

Archived