Premed 101 Forums

Help? Uoft Waitlist vs. UCC

Hi guys, 

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I am currently second on the waiting for the DMD program at UofT (was originally number 4 but it moved two spots after the deposit). I was also accepted to UCC in Ireland for their dental program and I have to decide by early next week if I want to pay the deposit (a whopping 10,000 dollars). My top choice is obviously UofT and I know I'm high up on the waiting list, but I'm worried because UofT sent out acceptances so early this year that the waitlist wont move...

I can't really comment on WL chances since I myself only got in this year. But historically the WL has always moved 20-30 spots and the bulk of the movement occurs once Med acceptances come out in May so I really just think its a matter of time. Of course you could always accept alternate offers to have a fallback if it lessens your worry.

This is how I see it. Since UofTs offers came out so early this year that means almost everyone accepted right away because they most likely had no other offers. So right now it looks like the wait list isn't going to move but the reality is there is no reason for it to move right now. Also there is only 1 waitlist this year meaning IP and OOP applicants are all on the same list. The past two years the IP waitlist moved 31 spots alone and the OOP around 7. I don't see why this year the waitlist wouldn't get to the early 20's at least, especially once all other offers start coming out particularly the med school acceptances in May. 

Thanks everyone! I know I'm being a little neurotic its just hard to let go of an acceptance when I don't have a guaranteed spot at UofT yet, but at the same time I don't think its worth it to lose 10,000. @ysoNaCly I didn't realize it was one waiting list this year :o, how did you find that out?

1 hour ago, DMDanon said:

Thanks everyone! I know I'm being a little neurotic its just hard to let go of an acceptance when I don't have a guaranteed spot at UofT yet, but at the same time I don't think its worth it to lose 10,000. @ysoNaCly I didn't realize it was one waiting list this year :o, how did you find that out?

Someone posted in the forums a while back and I personally asked the admissions office. 

I feel like you will get in being #2 on the list and seeing how much it moved in past years. 

The alternative of paying the deposit is not as bad when you think of it in this way (assuming Ireland is more expensive than Toronto): 

If Ireland is 200 000$ and U of T is 100 000$, paying 110 000 $ and going to Toronto (including the deposit to Ireland) is less money than you would have spent going to Ireland anyways so you are not really "losing money" but you "saved money" just by virtue of not going to Ireland. And if you end up going to Ireland then you don't lose any money because you had to pay the deposit regardless. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2018 at 6:52 PM, dentkaspire said:

congratulations! I haven't heard from the admissions office but I hope I get an update on how much it has moved exactly! 

Thank you! Last I heard it moved 6 spots but that was a few days ago it might have moved more :). Best of luck!

Archived