Premed 101 Forums

1 hour ago, Bad Childhood said:

Hey guys,

Now that the interviews are over, I wanted to ask how everyone felt about their interview. Ottawa was my only shot and I feel like I totally blew it. I can't stop replaying it in my head over and over again. I even had 1-2 members in the panel who were friendly. :( I don't think I got to showcase who I am based on the questions that were asked. Found them pretty random and all over the place. Also don't think I answered 2 ethics questions well enough - can think of so many things I could have said and not said. I honestly don't know what to feel about this entire interview experience. :( Is it normal to feel this way?

How did you guys find yours?

Hi OP,

I think that it's normal to feel this way - you've basically described my experience! Like everyone says, we are our own worst critics, and an individual's own perception of their interview is unlikely to be representative of how it actually went. It's not easy to try to get out of that mental rut, but I'm trying my best to stay occupied. Otherwise the next 40(?) days are going to drive us crazy! 

Best of luck OP, I hope you receive awesome news in May.

OP,  I'm sorry for how youre feeling about your interview. If this can reassure you, your feelings are shared among most of us. I feel like they wanted to evaluate something different this year, like how you react to something random, how you approach basic workplace ethical scenarios, etc. I wish you good luck try to stay busy until May with school and work, or hobbies! 

I had the exact same feelings. It was an extremely weird structure and I also felt I didn't get to talk about myself very much other than the very minimal personal questions they asked. I'm sure this threw many of us off our game so there's many who feel the same as you. Hopefully it works out positively for all of us feeling this way!

I hate MMIs so much and I feel like you leave the interview feeling they hardly got to know you, so I was so excited to finally get a more traditional interview where I can talk about my accomplishments, my qualities, my aspirations etc. After years of soul crushingly slogging through MMIs, where no matter how much I practice I'm destined for a waitlist, I was finally amped for an interview. I practiced for about a month, giving a sample answer to my wall for every practice question I could find. But this is the year they basically turned it into panel MMIs. I don't know what to think anymore. 

3 minutes ago, adri27 said:

I hate MMIs so much and I feel like you leave the interview feeling they hardly got to know you, so I was so excited to finally get a more traditional interview where I can talk about my accomplishments, my qualities, my aspirations etc. After years of soul crushingly slogging through MMIs, where no matter how much I practice I'm destined for a waitlist, I was finally amped for an interview. I practiced for about a month, giving a sample answer to my wall for every practice question I could find. But this is the year they basically turned it into panel MMIs. I don't know what to think anymore. 

I TOTALLY agree with this. Even my Mac MMI interview felt like it went better than this weird panel-MMI type interview.

5 hours ago, Bad Childhood said:

Hey guys,

Now that the interviews are over, I wanted to ask how everyone felt about their interview. Ottawa was my only shot and I feel like I totally blew it. I can't stop replaying it in my head over and over again. I even had 1-2 members in the panel who were friendly. :( I don't think I got to showcase who I am based on the questions that were asked. Found them pretty random and all over the place. Also don't think I answered 2 ethics questions well enough - can think of so many things I could have said and not said. I honestly don't know what to feel about this entire interview experience. :( Is it normal to feel this way?

How did you guys find yours?

I'm in the exact situation. My panel was friendly overall. Ottawa is my only shot as well and I left with a weird feeling in my stomach. I think I did average given the unexpected nature of the questions but there are definitely some answers I keep replaying and kicking myself in the foot for. :( There's 1 ethics question I feel like I completely blew, so much so that they asked 2 follow-ups because I completely missed the point of their initial question lol. I thought getting the interview over with would lift a huge burden off my chest but instead it seems like the burden has only gotten heavier. I can't wait until May 8th to know the results and know what I'm doing next year... best thing to do is keep yourself busy until then.... good luck!

7 hours ago, adri27 said:

exactly how I felt :'(

15 hours ago, adri27 said:

Exactly my reaction. I went in ready for a fun interview filled with a healthy amount of personal questions. And it turned out to be anything but that.

I felt like the interview was awkward and lacked flow. If you are just going to ask a bunch of random questions, then do it as an MMI so the process is at least more reliable. 

On 3/30/2018 at 9:42 AM, FatherFranklin said:

Exactly my reaction. I went in ready for a fun interview filled with a healthy amount of personal questions. And it turned out to be anything but that.

I felt like the interview was awkward and lacked flow. If you are just going to ask a bunch of random questions, then do it as an MMI so the process is at least more reliable. 

1 hour ago, FatherFranklin said:

This is literally the most accurate way to describe that interview and what it could’ve been instead. 

2 hours ago, Friendlyapplicant said:

Did they ever mention whether autobio sketch is incorporated into post-interview weighing? 

During the information session they said it was wGPA + interview score. Not sure why the website indicated ABS would also be considered (would've been great for me lol), perhaps that's from the previous cycle

3 hours ago, barc16 said:

During the information session they said it was wGPA + interview score. Not sure why the website indicated ABS would also be considered (would've been great for me lol), perhaps that's from the previous cycle

Yes, this. They said interview is scored on a 4.0 scale similar to GPA, then they combine your interview score + GPA to make a running list, and send acceptances to first 116 (for English stream). 

15 minutes ago, Premedstudent0307 said:

I thought GPA is only used if there is a tie...

Since the interview scale is out of 4.0 and the increments are likely 0.5, many candidates will have the same interview score. Therefore GPA will frequently be used to rank those candidates with the same scores.

31 minutes ago, obiwankenobi said:

So if you bomb the interview, you have no chance even with a 4.00...

May 8th could not come faster!

Yup the letter said poor interviews cannot be ranked, but this is usually the case across schools. I'm sure we all did decent enough though, especially since the waitlist is so large :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, obiwankenobi said:

I know this has been discussed before, but the answer was unclear. For IP French, are there 90 interviews for 40 spots? Or is it 90-24 (OOP stream)?

I believe it is the following:

• 90 interviews for 40 spots for candidates from Ontario/Quebec 
  • 25 interviews for 8 spots for CFNS (French outside ON/QC)

For 48 total. 

Archived