Premed 101 Forums

Studying in Ireland - mom with kids.

Hi to everyone. After three years of futile attempts to get a spot in Canadian medical school I am seriously concidering Atlantic Bridge program. However, i am not sure how it works for families. Particularly, i am not sure whether children of someone on student visa are allowed to enroll in public school.  Any advise on "how to move to Ireland when you have a family on board" is highly appreciated :)

• 1 month later...

After l was accepted by UCD I looked into it, and the process was overwhelming and confusing to say the least.  I consequently decided against going overseas and continued to apply in Canada.  I applied more times than you and eventually got in, and considering the current difficulty of CSA's matching back to Canada, I would advise you to consider applying to med schools Canada for at least another couple of years.  You are essentially uprooting your entire family for at least 10 years if you decide to study in Ireland.

On May 16, 2018 at 1:06 AM, medisforme said:

After l was accepted by UCD I looked into it, and the process was overwhelming and confusing to say the least.  I consequently decided against going overseas and continued to apply in Canada.  I applied more times than you and eventually got in, and considering the current difficulty of CSA's matching back to Canada, I would advise you to consider applying to med schools Canada for at least another couple of years.  You are essentially uprooting your entire family for at least 10 years if you decide to study in Ireland.

Thank you for reply.

You are absolutely right. Not an easy choice at all. I understand that we would need to establish in another country for 4 years and then move somewhere else (given matching issues it most probably will be the USA). One of the factors that makes it easier for us to move, is the fact that we do not have deep roots here as all our extended family is dispersed all over the Eurasian continent. The big concern is the schooling for kids as we certainly would not be able to afford private international education

I just got badly waitlisted after interview and I dont think I have much moral power to go throug this again and again. By applying abroad I would try to maximise my chances for sucess next round as I am not getting any younger (sight). Thank you again for your reply :)

Consider nursing while reapplying? If youre making it to the interview stage you are close. Jumping ship abroad while at this stage, for someone who is not just a single 20yo applicant would be ill advised. haha

What school(s) are you making it to the interview stage at?

What is your GPA and mcat?

Schooling will be a nightmare to sort out if you want to be apart of the local systems. Doable but still annoying. International grade schools are expensive.

Do you have EU passports? Would your partner(if there is one) be able to work abroad? Do you have a decent amount of savings already to help finance? Bank loan will not be sufficient, let alone for a family.

If you end up in the US for residency, working there can also pose an issue for a partner.

3 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Consider nursing while reapplying? If youre making it to the interview stage you are close. Jumping ship abroad while at this stage, for someone who is not just a single 20yo applicant would be ill advised. haha

What school(s) are you making it to the interview stage at?

What is your GPA and mcat?

Schooling will be a nightmare to sort out if you want to be apart of the local systems. Doable but still annoying. International grade schools are expensive.

Do you have EU passports? Would your partner(if there is one) be able to work abroad? Do you have a decent amount of savings already to help finance? Bank loan will not be sufficient, let alone for a family.

If you end up in the US for residency, working there can also pose an issue for a partner.

I am a nurse already :D. Gpa is 3.93;  no MCAT as it is not required for QC universities.

Thank you very much for insightful questions, you are tapping into something that is constantly on my mind. 

1 hour ago, Kiki-Mora said:

I am a nurse already :D. Gpa is 3.93;  no MCAT as it is not required for QC universities.

Thank you very much for insightful questions, you are tapping into something that is constantly on my mind. 

Ahh i see, interesting! Why not just take the MCAT then and apply across Canada? With a strong GPA and a good MCAT, you stand a decent chance in places outside of QC.

If you go abroad, you'll have to take many much more difficult tests than the MCAT, so may as well take the MCAT and prove to yourself. Then you may even land a spot in Canada that is much cheaper and far more secure.

Archived