Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
roadsiderodeo

References contacted 2017-18 cycle

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Koopatroopa said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think it means much. They told us that we would all have our references checked at the post interview info session. 

I don't think its a bad thing! May can't come soon enough! 

Didn't Dr. Ziola say that last year only those who passed the interview had their refs contacted? In the post interview session on Sunday afternoon I remember him saying something like of the 280 or so people they interviewed, they contacted about 215 and disqualified a couple due to red flags. Did he explicitly say that they were gonna change that and contact references for all applicants this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, broclivity44 said:

Didn't Dr. Ziola say that last year only those who passed the interview had their refs contacted? In the post interview session on Sunday afternoon I remember him saying something like of the 280 or so people they interviewed, they contacted about 215 and disqualified a couple due to red flags. Did he explicitly say that they were gonna change that and contact references for all applicants this year?

Definitely just my understanding. He didn’t talk about changing anything. I was at a different time than you, so maybe he just worded it a little differently. But I was under the impression they would be contacting everyone’s references. 

It makes sense though that they would only contact successful applicants to save on time. 

:)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Koopatroopa said:

Definitely just my understanding. He didn’t talk about changing anything. I was at a different time than you, so maybe he just worded it a little differently. But I was under the impression they would be contacting everyone’s references. 

It makes sense though that they would only contact successful applicants to save on time. 

:)  

Looking at the past 2 year's sub-threads, it doesn't seem like they contact that many references. I did my interview Saturday morning and Dr Ziola said not everyone's references are contacted - some people get in without ref checks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, excelspreadsheet said:

Really? I was under the impression he had said a minimum of 2 references for everyone would be contacted unless we failed the interview.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, really hoping I'm remembering wrong...

This is the impression I got as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, excelspreadsheet said:

Really? I was under the impression he had said a minimum of 2 references for everyone would be contacted unless we failed the interview.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, really hoping I'm remembering wrong...

I am under this impression as well. Also doesn't make sense to me why they would only contact some of the interviewees that passed and not others... The phone call is a red flag rule out process, and it should be applied in an unbiased way to all interviewees that they are considering to accept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else receive an email about a final transcript for this semester sent to them by May 4th? I assume this is standard, but does it mean that we passed the interview or does everyone just get this email regardless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Riemann said:

Anyone else receive an email about a final transcript for this semester sent to them by May 4th? I assume this is standard, but does it mean that we passed the interview or does everyone just get this email regardless?

I suspect anyone attending either the U of S or U of R will not get this email, as admissions is able to access the transcripts at these schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two out of three of my references had their phone call around the first week of April. I'm an OOP applicant. Hard to say whether being contacted is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's just good to be considered at this point, haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, koreantofu said:

Two out of three of my references had their phone call around the first week of April. I'm an OOP applicant. Hard to say whether being contacted is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's just good to be considered at this point, haha!

I think references being contacted is a good thing at this stage! Logistically it wouldn't make sense for them to set up telephone interviews if you had failed the interview since it's quite a bit of work on their end. It also makes me wonder what the point of contacting references post-interview vs pre-interview is. Presumably it's so they have less work. Also from the information sheet given at the post-interview session, what Dr. Ziola said, and threads from previous cycles, it sounds like only people who passed the interview in previous years had their references contacted. That being said, I don't think people whose references haven't been contacted yet should give up hope! It's possible that their process has changed from past years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Medman123 said:

So if mine have not been contacted at this point do I assume a fail? :(

There might be hope still, as med has in rare circumstances contacted late in April (early May). However, that is me being optimistic for you, more than likely your assumption is correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×