Premed 101 Forums

Feedback letters

23 hours ago, Hopelessmed said:

The admissions committee had said that the feedback letters are sent out at the end of march. I'm assuming this is a rough deadline. Can anyone tell me when they received theirs last year? 

What do you mean by feedback letters? Like a survey re: the interview experience? Or do you mean offers of admission/rejections? Or something else?

3 hours ago, Persephone said:

What do you mean by feedback letters? Like a survey re: the interview experience? Or do you mean offers of admission/rejections? Or something else?

U of A sends out feedback letters to those that were rejected pre-interview. They basically tell you how you ranked in each category. 

18 minutes ago, macd said:

I'm not sure when they send them out, but I'm pretty sure they only include the average MCAT and GPA, so they are not that detailed and do not tell you how you ranked.

I heard they give you a score for each section of your ECs. Most of them are out of 4 points except the awards section which is out of 1

I'll be interested to know how the essay was marked!

6 minutes ago, macd said:

Last year they only gave average GPA and MCAT, not ECs. At least for individuals rejected post-interview, but I would assume it would be the same for pre-interview?

Ah OP was talking about pre-interview feedback which is more detailed. Post-interview average stats are usually published anyways 

I think people rejected pre-interview find out what the average EC score was for applicants that got interviews, whereas people rejected post-interview never find out the average accepted EC or interview scores (or at least for last cycle anyways). The essay was not marked and was optional.....which is definitely something they should have made more public. I sent an email to MD Admissions back in September and that's what they told me anyways. I did not complete the section and did get an interview, so I'm assuming that's the case.

37 minutes ago, Hopelessmed said:

I got my letter today. Its really not that informative. They just have the averages of GPA, ECs and MCAT of those that received the invite. But, because they are averages, you really don't know how you ranked against them. 

Oh wow that's really not helpful, knowing just the average ECs. Unlike GPA or MCAT the assessment of ECs is quite subjective so applicants already knew they were "high". It would only be useful if applicants knew their own scores, so they knew where they scored poorly and can improve next time. It's fine if you don't get ranks as long as you get feedback on your areas of weakness. I suppose most applicants know where they can strengthen their application but having that confirmed can be more motivational

50 minutes ago, Hopelessmed said:

I got my letter today. Its really not that informative. They just have the averages of GPA, ECs and MCAT of those that received the invite. But, because they are averages, you really don't know how you ranked against them. 

They didn't even give you your extracurricular score? That's really not helpful. Last year they at least gave people rejected pre-interview their own scores and the averages.

58 minutes ago, Hopelessmed said:

Would you mind sharing these averages?

Sorry, I should've elaborated more. I was given my score for ECs but they don't say how GPA, MCAT, ECs are weighted. I can't find this info on the website either. You really can't tell how you compared with the rest of the applicants. 

Am I allowed to release the averages? 

12 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Alberta calculates your average for each section. It was shown on your application

I will have to check that! The above would suggest that the highest MCAT they got was a 526 though, which isn't correct. Unless this is only for rejected applicants? Or just IP people?

6 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

I will have to check that! The above would suggest that the highest MCAT they got was a 526 though, which isn't correct. Unless this is only for rejected applicants?

It should be for invited since it doesn't make sense to get stats for rejected. It's not that they didn't receive any applicants with 528, but none of those applicants were invited. Which makes me speculate about how they weigh these scores and also contributes to the stereotype of one with a perfect MCAT score

4 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

It should be for invited since it doesn't make sense to get stats for rejected. It's not that they didn't receive any applicants with 528, but none of those applicants were invited. Which makes me speculate about how they weigh these scores and also contributes to the stereotype of one with a perfect MCAT score

I was invited with a perfect score which is why I was curious. I avoid talking about it though to avoid those stereotypes. 

2 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

I was invited with a perfect score which is why I was curious. I avoid talking about it though to avoid those stereotypes. 

I had a feeling you were haha from the way you said it. But could very well be for IP. Also great job, that's impressive!

1 hour ago, Hopelessmed said:

Sorry, I should've elaborated more. I was given my score for ECs but they don't say how GPA, MCAT, ECs are weighted. I can't find this info on the website either. You really can't tell how you compared with the rest of the applicants. 

The FAQs on the Admissions website says that they have "not yet determined how selection criteria will be weighted" and that if they choose to release this information, it would be made public on the website.

Id like to know, but really it wouldnt change how I would approach the admissions process tbh. 

That's right, the best you can do is just improve on your areas of weakness, which your scores point to. While scoring of ECs is somewhat subjective and can vary year to year, even more variation will occur from ranks, since the pool of applicants changes and their individual scores have variation too. So be the best that you can be and trust that one year adcom will recognize your excellent file 

On 4/5/2018 at 0:55 PM, Comprehensible said:

I will have to check that! The above would suggest that the highest MCAT they got was a 526 though, which isn't correct. Unless this is only for rejected applicants? Or just IP people?

They give different averages for the different categories. Those look like IP because the OOP ones were higher. My letter's at home but I remember the EC average for OOP was 8. Can check the MCAT max when I get home if you want

Archived