Premed 101 Forums

UofT Mississauga Life Sciences vs Western Medical Sciences

Hello,

I'm a high school wishing to enter medical school and I currently have the option of going to either university but I cannot make a decision.

In UTM, I got accepted in the program for Biology for Health sciences and in Western, I got accepted for Medical Sciences.

I keep reading that UofT is a gpa killer and UTM is secluded, but also that the class sizes are small and its easier then St. George to get a higher GPA.

For western, I've read that the program is better and more focused for people wanting to attend medical school, they also say that you apply to medical sciences second year??

Take a look at this thread I posted. It goes into a lot of detail about Western medical science (its not widely considered that easy, though I can't comment on the U of T program in comparison). I went to Western and did a BSc in psych if you have any questions about the school in general (the bsc and bmsc programs have the same first year courses as well if you have any questions about first year in particular). Also, to answer your question about applying to Western medical sciences in second year, at the end of second year once you have taken the core first and second year medical science courses, you apply to a medical sciences module (there are a bunch), and you are accepted based on your average after second year. Somebody else might know if there are nuances about whether electives are included in the calculation for entrance into the program (I don't recall). 

8 hours ago, azmiagha said:

Could you please explain why?

haha where to begin.. I can't comment on Missassauga campus but St. George is most definitely a GPA killer. Coming from personal experience of having taken courses at other schools where the difficulty of tests are not even comparable.. Stuff you'll see on prelab quizzes at UofT show up on their mid-terms! With Western, I have a friend who switched out of UofT into Western in 3rd year. She couldn't crack 90 at UofT, she's getting high 90s at Western. I also personally know so many people from western whose made it into med.. more than UofT. And I spent the past 9 years there.

Also I am a mature student and have many many many friends in medicine, all the way into senior resident trainees and fellows. Extremely few from UofT undergrad make it. I interviewed at 4 Canadian schools this year, very few UofT students, LOTS from Western, Mac, Carleton.

I can't go much further into it without divulging more information, but if you meet anyone who's "made it" from UofT undergrad, 90% will tell you the same thing. Don't do it. I was arrogant, didn't listen, paid for it. I know lots who made the same mistake. It's your choice obviously but... you have been warned! No one to blame but yourself afterwards yeah? Do other people who didn't go to UofT undergrad know/understand the pain? That's for you to decide.

I would go to Western Med Sci. More students make it to med, its probably a better environment, you build connections that last into med school and Western is going to be a better campus for undergrad than UTM which is basically going to be a commuter and continuing ed school.

Like the above poster said, it is less common for those from UT life sci to make it into medical school. Personally, none of the people I know who went into UTSG Life sciences got into medical school whereas the number of people who got into med from Mac Health Sci, Art Sci, Life Sci and Western's Med/Healthsci is astronomical. Queen's Life Sci and McGill are also great programs for sending people into med. 

I know people in med who went to UT life sci, but the proportion who end up needing a 2 yr masters or taking a gap year is higher. 

A lot of people i know who chose UT life sci made the mistake of assuming that a higher world ranking and better international recognition would be better for them and they all ended up paying a very real price in terms of finances, time and life opportunities. 

10 hours ago, Edict said:

A lot of people i know who chose UT life sci made the mistake of assuming that a higher world ranking and better international recognition would be better for them and they all ended up paying a very real price in terms of finances, time and life opportunities. 

This. Please don't become another victim of the prestige factor OP.. So many people I know suffered damages they'll never be able to undo. Most had to give up on their dreams and the few rich opted to go abroad. Honestly, go to a program that many people have enjoyed, done well in, and will support you. From personal experience, and those of many of my friends, it is not UofT. First and second years you'll be in a class of 2000 where the average is C.

I did UTM Life Sciences and took many courses at St. George and would never go back. I've done bachelors level courses at 4 undergrad institutions and my grades at all other institutions were on average 8-12% higher with the same or less effort when compared to UofT. I consider UofT a huge mistake in hindsight. That said, I was still able to achieve my goals. So, take it as you will.

I did my graduate studies at UofT.  UofT is great for grad studies.  For undergrad... not so much.  HUGE class sizes (very little opportunity to get to know your instructors), lots of classes taught by grad students or adjuncts/sesssionals.  Not a lot of chances to set yourself apart from the crowd.  

I did my undergraduate studies at Guelph, and while I loved doing my grad studies at UofT, I would have been miserable there as an undergraduate.  No where near as many supports for undergrads as at Guelph, too many large classes, especially in first and second year, and too much isolation.  For graduate studies, the resources at UofT can’t be beat, but those aren’t readily available for undergraduates.  It’s better to go to a university where you will receive more and better supports for undergraduate studies.

• 2 years later...

I graduated from Western Med Sci as well and I had a good time with the exception of the few known hard courses, everything else was fair. Based on everyone who went to UofT (undergrad and med/dental school) they all say GPA killer and I'm so glad I did not do UofT life sci. UofT professors pride themselves with making difficult exams because their philosophy is to challenge students and proving that regular study habits (healthy study habits) will not cut it. It's probably a great school if you intend on entering the work force right after graduating (i.e. not med/grad school). You can PM me for more details/questions.

EDIT: Didn't see the second part of your q

For Western at the end of the year you just confirm you want to continue your program or select another program to "apply for" if you change your mind which makes switching pretty straightforward, or adding majors/minors to your program. And if you made the minimum requirements then you won't need to stress. Double check online what they are (something like 60% overall I think). What this actually means is you aren't "locked in" to a specialty until you apply at the end of second year for 3rd year bc some modules (specialties) need certain prereqs. You have time to make that decision and it doesn't matter what you picked for 1st year as you get time to reaffirm or change it without penalty.

Finished my undergrad at UTM with a 3.94 cGPA. Still regret it and would have went to Mac or Western if I had known about forums before undergrad.  Wish I had listened to my parents lol. University is about exploring new experiences and learning, UofT sucks that out of you when you have to study more than your peers. Definitely recommend for graduate studies or non-premed pursuits though. Regards to UofT St. George, UTM is easier, but harder than other universities.