Premed 101 Forums

A Crazy CARS idea

LiconC

So I still need to write the MCAT, but this summer I am going to be too busy with work and research to engage in sufficient study for an optimal score. However, I will have ample time to study for the CARS section alone

Here's my question: Because McMaster only take the CARS score into account, would be it be a good idea to write the MCAT this summer and disregard every other section? Would the poor marks I incur in the non-CARS section be held against me in the application process, or anywhere else down the road? I couldn't find anything to suggest that McMaster looks at MCAT scores "globally" (as they do at U of C), but is it possible that they do so, anyways? 

Thank you for your time. 

Hello LiconC, 

This strategy has ben utilized by other's as well, and yes it does work. McMaster only looks at your CARS score and do not care if you get <120 or lower. They totally disregard that. However, I would advise you to write the entire MCAT if you can as that opens up more roads and more medical schools. 

All in all, McMaster only looks at CARS so if you just write CARS that should be fine with them! 

You will want to apply widely in Canada to every school you can be competitive to get an interview.  Yes you need a good CARS for MAC (and other schools).  I would not restrict your school target list so quickly.  If Medicine is your focus, maybe you should reduce your work/research this summer and concentrate on MCAT ?

1 hour ago, LiconC said:

@Med Eye @Meridian

What if I restricted this strategy to the upcoming cycle, and then re-wrote the MCAT for the next cycle? Would that safely get over the "all the eggs in one basket" issue, or am I missing something crucial here?

You aren't missing anything. If I were you, I would write the CARS and do not answer a single question in any other section, just skip. This way, lets say you don't get into Mac. The next year, you can re-write focusing on all sections and apply to Canada since they don't look at past MCATs. If you apply to the states, they will look at previous MCATs, but having basically 0 in every other section makes it pretty obvious you didn't try in those sections at all. That way, they will likely disregard them if they look holistically, however you would have to watch out for schools that have some sort of formula. 

It could work and you could achieve a Mac interview. Mac is transparent with GPA/CARS/Casper being weighted equally to get an interview.  A wildcard though is the Casper which you will never know how you actually score.  Maybe start with some CARS practice exams now and see where you benchmark.

Only negatives (inside Canada) are you may be destined to write the MCAT twice and you are limiting where you can apply first cycle.

Personally I would think more along the lines of how to maximize opportunity for multiple interviews and thus a better chance of a Med School acceptance somewhere. 

23 hours ago, Edict said:

You aren't missing anything. If I were you, I would write the CARS and do not answer a single question in any other section, just skip. This way, lets say you don't get into Mac. The next year, you can re-write focusing on all sections and apply to Canada since they don't look at past MCATs. If you apply to the states, they will look at previous MCATs, but having basically 0 in every other section makes it pretty obvious you didn't try in those sections at all. That way, they will likely disregard them if they look holistically, however you would have to watch out for schools that have some sort of formula. 

Do NOT do this if you will apply to the US. Yes there are “holistic” schools but with thousands of applications almost all of them will have a numerical hard cut off. Like application requirements that mean that your application will never be seen by human eyes. I would not rely on the hope that some schools will take the time to actually look to see that you did cars specifically then take that into account.

13 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Do NOT do this if you will apply to the US. Yes there are “holistic” schools but with thousands of applications almost all of them will have a numerical hard cut off. Like application requirements that mean that your application will never be seen by human eyes. I would not rely on the hope that some schools will take the time to actually look to see that you did cars specifically then take that into account.

Really good point; thanks for this :-)

Archived